[56] Aftermath (Part 1) - The Journey Home

Haygen sat up, his vision swimming. The scent of burning spices wafted in the Druids' dimly lit infirmary. He swung his legs out of bed and slid on his small clothes sitting clean in a pile on the floor. He lifted his arms, finding the Druid glyphs still intact. Alright, that wasn't a dream. A row of beds lined the halls to his left and right. Druids, sell-swords, and others he did not recognize, lay in various state of injury.

His mother stood, set her book down, and approached him. "You're awake I see."

"We won, right?" asked Haygen.

"You could say that," said Selene. She took him under the arm. "Easy now. Want to get outside a while?"

He gave a short nod, wary of his steps.

"Here." She helped him with a blue tunic and handed him his Druid staff.

He recognized the tunic. The one Kayla made him. His thoughts went to her and his other companions.

He stepped through the doorway and out onto the wildgrass field. The bright sun made him wince. "How long was I...out?" Across the way, the candlewood trees still stood and he smiled at that. The tall, dark Seeking Stones stood off to his right still intact. Massive patches of burned wildgrass scarred the land. Green Haven looked empty without the rows of white tents where the Warriors slept. A flash of steel caught his attention and he reached for his ax feeling nothing but air. He breathed a heavy sigh realizing the swinging steel was but a scythe cutting down crops for the winter.

"It's been two days," said Selene.

"Dag. Burn the battlefields?"

Selene nodded. "Arataas suggested it, so that no blood taints the land. Did it himself."

Haygen sneered. Dragons. "Where'd he go?"

"Back home," said his mother. "He is home with his family."

"Kayla?"

"She's here." Selene pointed past a cluster of Druids toward the candlewood trees. "We're right in time for hand-meal. Hungry?"

"Starving," Haygen said.

They made their way over to the candlewoods. The world already started feeling different. As the Druids require, he cast off his boots and felt the earth beneath him. The dry grass poked at the middle of his large, wide feet. They stepped down once they entered a burned out section of the wildgrass. The Dragon burned it down a good foot deep into the ground. They crossed the small footbridge over the feeding stream and Wesley caught sight of him. The Faeling stood from the dining table, hands full of food as was custom at hand-meal, and rushed over to him.

"You're a sight!" Wess cried out. "You had us shaking for a bit." They clasped forearms and embraced.

They surrounded him then. Kayla, Anyu, and Otis held him, all wary of his injuries and their own. Wayland and Clay Niven stood back to give him room and waited their turn. Everyone looked different to him. They're at peace.

Haygen stepped to the table and Otis helped him down into a wide-cut chair. His friends took their seats and passed him a plate. He picked at the roasted meats and cheese covered potatoes still hot to the touch.

Anyu gave him a peck on the cheek and poured him a cup of sweet wine. A thought came to him as he looked over the table. He stood, teeth clenched. His throat closed tight, choking him as the thought over how far they came and what his companions did for him and his mother.

He raised his cup and all at the table followed suit. "To friends."

"To friends." They all touched cups and drank heartily.