[12] The East Coast

As the companions passed through the isles they came across a variety of sights, both ugly and beautiful. The tall, nimble trunks of the palm trees swayed with the southeastern wind and waved bright green leaves to the them providing an inviting reception. Flowers of pink, blue, red, and orange drew their eye to the further natural beauty of the place, possibilities of joy and relaxation. The water had cleared from a dark black, to a turquoise so much that they could see several feet into the water and pick out coral reefs and large schools of fish. They encroached closer to Big Savage and it was clear that the eastern coast of Tenbap was controlled by the cannibalistic Hinghi. The coastal villages made of thatched homes were built more sturdy and looked as if they would stand the severe storms of the oceans, while the goblin huts on the tiny islets looked more like temporary shelters. The goblins dwelled in the Savage Isles, but the Hinghi tribes called the islands home.

Being far clear of the goblins, Wess steered closer to Big Savage so they could quench their curiosity and look upon the large Hinghi village. There was native folk fishing from long, skinny boats. Children played in the water and on the beach.

Wess wanted very badly to drop his line into the water like the other fishermen, but he knew how some, especially the Hinghi, would probably be territorial about their waters. Instead, he brought the boat a bit closer to shore, which in turn brought out many of the tribal warriors with their bows, harpoons, and spears.

"They may recognize the boat," said Wess.

Anyu screamed out a Hinghi saying, "Kalimdap Wan Akillu!" This translated to Death to Goblin scum.

The Hinghi warriors in turn whooped a war cry and cheered for the trophy the companions had won for their enemy knowing it would be much harder for the goblins to raid their villages without it.

"Best to pull away now, Wess," said Haygen. He waved to the children and gave a courteous nod to the warriors while showing his strength by wielding is massive double bladed ax. His primal Orc instincts of dominance boiled his blood. This meant the Hinghi were also feeling the same.

"Perhaps we should trade with them for food," said Kayla.

Anyu agreed. "I could speak to them if you like."

Haygen glanced over to Otis and gave a quick shake of his head. No good.

The Dwarf gave a quick nod at Half-orc's subtle gesture. They were severely out numbered, and the natives were cannibals. If there was a fight, children might get injured. "I've a bad feelin' about this place, Kayla. We best be moving on."

"Of course," the Wizard was a bit frustrated. Kayla's plan was to document their travels and the culture they witnessed. She made a mental note of some of the native's tattoos, weapons, dress, and architecture. She truly wanted to hear some more legends of the Hinghi besides what Zahdu told her. She would have to lean on Anyu for more information.

They waved farewell and course corrected back to the east and pulled away from the island chain. The open water was once again before them.

Because the wind held, the companions reached the western shores of the Far East two moons later.  When it appeared on the horizon, no one said a word.  The only one who smiled was the Ranger. 

They sailed for weeks to get to a land that civilization fled centuries ago.  Now, only the wild, the untamed, and the desperate folk came here.  However, many expeditions were lead in search of precious metals deep underground.  Some hunted exotic animals not found in the West to sell their precious skins to armorers, organs to wizards, and the creatures themselves for the odd collector.  Few left to escape justice for crimes they committed, taking their chances with the Far East than swing on the gallows.  In turn, bounty hunters found work.  Some, like Haygen's mother, fled to pursue their gods.  Perhaps their god guided them there.  There were those like Anyu, whose native tribes refused to leave their homeland and outlasted the great war.