Stranded Part II

It was getting dark now. Y/N checked the map that Pidge had sent them again. They were still 9 hours from their destination. And Keith showed no sign of stopping to rest. He was ahead of her now. He glanced back every now and then to make sure that she was still right behind him. Y/N's walking had now turned into a half-walk, half-dragging her body as far as she possibly could. She did not think she could keep going, no matter how much she wanted to.

"Keith," she gasped. "I think we should stop. Make camp for the night. We can start again in the morning when — "

"No," Keith interrupted her, without turning around.

"What?" she asked, dumb-founded.

"I said no."

That made her angry. He was their leader but they were supposed to come to decisions together. He did not have absolute say in all matters.

"I don't take orders from you," she responded coldly. Then, she stopped right in her tracks and sat down with a loud humph. He turned to face her now.

"Get up," he growled. His eyes were rimmed red, and his hair was drenched in sweat. Dirt and mud was splattered all over his face and suit. Y/N did not move from her spot.

"Make me," she dared him. She did not think he would actually make her get up. But, he did. As soon as she said it, he strolled towards her, and yanked her upwards.

She looked at him in surprise. "We're going," he snarled, his hold on her becoming a death-grip. She felt her fingers going numb as the circulation to her lower arm lessened.

"Keith," she gasped in pain, "You-You're hurting me." A flash of fear crossed his face and he released her.

"I'm sorry," he muttered, averting his gaze.

Her anger softened. It had been a long day. They were tired, hungry, scared and longing for the comforts of the rest of the group and the Castle. She even missed Hunk's gooey concoctions. In fact, she'd kill to have one of those right about now.

"It's okay," she said, moving to put a hand on his shoulder. "Let's just get some rest. We can't help your mom if we drop dead from exhaustion." She tried for a smile.

The mention of his mother made him flinch. His voice hardened again, and he was yelling at her.

"That's just it, Y/N. We can't help her if we stop now. We'll never get to her and the others in time. Haggar will execute all of them, and it'll be our fault. Because we were too tired to save them. We might not even get to them in time if we keep moving now, but if we stop, then we might as well have killed them ourselves," he cried.

"Keith—"

"Y/N, I'm so sick of this. Losing the people that I love. It's like some big, cosmic joke. I finally find my only living family, just for her to be taken away again," he was crying now.

Y/N stared at him in shock. She had never seen him cry before. She wasn't even sure that he was capable of it until now. He had seen her cry plenty. She was not that great at hiding her emotions. But, he was usually unreadable. Stop staring like an idiot, she chided herself.

Y/N stepped towards Keith, and without thinking about it, pulled him down to wrap her arms around his neck. He was momentarily still, before encircling his own arms around her waist and pulling her close.

They stood like that for a moment, before Keith finally sighed and said, "I'll build us a fire."