Lose It Part III

Y/N wasn't sure how long she and Keith had been standing there, gaping at the sight before them. It dawned on her then that Lotor had underestimated the rebellion. They were stronger than he had led them to believe, having had the resources necessary to undertake such an ambitious construction project. Y/N wondered why were there only three lions. Where were the green and yellow lions? Had they yet to be built? And...was the goal to form Voltron — or something akin to Voltron? Could Voltron defeat itself? So many questions, but not a single answer before her. She was awakened from her stupor by Keith's gentle touch.

"I think we should try to pilot them out," he said firmly, jaw set, eyes fixed on hers.

"What?" Y/N responded in shock.

"Whatever this is...we have to stop it. I'll take Red, and you take Blue," he insisted. Then, he started towards the Red Lion replica.

Y/N watched him for a moment before grabbing his shoulder and pulling him back.

"Wait. Hold on. This — this is ridiculous. I've never even flown the real Blue Lion. It won't respond to me. And where are we supposed to pilot them to? We can't them back to the castle. What if they're dangerous?"

Keith shook his head. "We can't leave them here either. We might not get another chance."

Y/N hesitated. Keith sighed and brought his gloved hand to her cheek. His touch was gentle, and his warm fingers cupped her face. She wished he wasn't wearing gloves.

"I won't let anything happen to you," he said, giving her the hint of a small smile. It wasn't her she was worried about.

"I know," she replied, returning his smile. They stood for a moment like that before Keith seemed to realize the intimacy of his gesture. He stepped away hastily and cleared his throat, before continuing on his way to the Red Lion. So close. Y/N sighed in disappointment.

As Y/N made her way to the Blue Lion, she couldn't help but feel that something was...off. She was the paladin of the Purple Lion, so she knew she would not feel at home exactly in this Lion. But it was more than that. The Lions were all different, but they also all shared some commonalities. On the inside, they were all — she didn't know the word for it exactly, but perhaps, they all felt familiar. This Galran replica definitely did not.

Y/N closed her eyes, trying to form some sort of connection, establish some bond with this vessel. But all she felt was an unwelcoming coldness.

"Y/N," she heard Keith through her earpiece, "Anything?" His voice was shaky.

"Nothing. You?" she asked him.

"No. Keep trying," he responded.

"Keith, I think we should — " her protest was interrupted by a humming sound she was very acquainted with. She looked on in awe as the controls lit up and the cockpit glowed with life.

Y/N's feeling of wonder was cut short by a searing pain. Her whole body convulsed, and she tried to hold her tongue. But she couldn't. Y/N screamed.