0 | Prologue

Luke

There are moments in life that we will never be able to forget – moments that shape our lives, change us into the people we are meant to be.

Some of those moments are joyous, some are painful.

Some take your breath away – and some make you never want to breathe again.

When Brooke looked at me and told me we needed to talk, I knew it would be one of those moments.

"Luke, we need to talk," she said.

"Um, okay," I said, patting the bench next to me.

She sat down and turned her body so she was facing me. "Luke, I need to tell you something, and I just need you to let me say it. Okay?"

I nodded.

"I can't tell you how much these last two years have meant to me, Luke, but I... I think we need to take a break."

I opened my mouth, but remembered my agreement to let her speak and closed it again.

"I just feel... I feel like I'm being held down. We're only 20, Luke. I want... I want to be on my own for a while," she said, and I could tell she was on the verge of tears.

After she was quiet for a moment, I decided it was safe to speak. "Brooke, I don't understand... I thought we were happy together." I knew I had been happy... had she not been?

"We were – I mean, we are... I just... I feel like I'm missing something. And I need to find myself in order to figure out what that is. And I need to be alone to do that, Luke." Tears had filled her eyes and were now spilling down her beautiful face.

"Oh, Brooke," I said, and even though my heart was breaking, I found it in me to comfort her. "I – I want to try to change your mind, but I can see how hard this is for you. So I'm not going to even try." I took a deep breath and stood up, pulling her to her feet. "Can I – can I just kiss you one more time?"

She swallowed and nodded. I put my hands on her cheeks and pressed my lips to hers gently, careful to not deepen it too much – I didn't think I could handle that.

I pulled away first, looking into her eyes. "Goodbye, Brooke." I slid my hands off her cheeks and turned away, starting to walk back toward the parking lot.

"Luke?" she called softly. I stopped in my tracks but didn't turn around.

"What, Brooke?"

"Please don't hate me."

My shoulders dropped and I hung my head. I finally turned to face her, tears streaming down my face. "That would be impossible, Brooke. My heart was made to love you."

Before she could answer, I turned and walked away.

It was the only thing I could do.