44 | New

I'm hangin' on, hangin' on

Wonderin' what's up next.

-Chris Young, "Hangin' On"

Luke

Being in class with Jessica for the past two weeks has been, well, odd. She was dressing up for class every day, almost like she was trying to prove something to me.

And as much as I hated to admit it, it was working. I could see what I had given up – she was beautiful, smart, and kind. Also, I knew that what I had with her was good. She liked me, she hadn't cheated on me, and she treated me right.

Leaving her for Brooke was a risk. A big one. I know it, Jessica knows it; hell, I think even Brooke knows it.

But sometimes what's worth it isn't easy. And I thought that giving Brooke a second chance would be worth it. If she didn't mess it up again.

"Luke?" a voice was calling.

It was Jessica.

"Sorry, what's up?" I asked, focusing on her.

"Are you ready for the final?" she asked.

"Yeah, I think so. You?"

"I think so. Oh, I forgot to tell you; I passed my Biology class."

"Nice!" I exclaimed. "I'm proud of you," I said, and it was true; I was.

"Thanks." She looked down and then back up at me. "I couldn't have done it without you, you know."

"Aw, come on," I said, waving her off.

"No, it's true. I appreciate it, Luke, really," she said.

"Well, you're welcome."

Just then, Dr. Perkins dismissed us and we made our way outside.

The air was rather chilly for Florida, and I wrapped my jacket tighter around my body.

"Hey," Jessica said suddenly. "There's Rachel and Miles... who's that with them?" she asked, and I squinted to see.

"I have no idea," I mumbled. "Maybe one of Miles' teammates?"

"Hey!" Rachel waved us over, and we met in the middle of the sidewalk under a bare-branched oak tree.

"Hey," Jessica said, hugging her immediately.

"How are you?" Rachel asked her. "You look beautiful," she said.

"Thanks, Rach. I'm good, actually," she said, glancing at me.

Miles and I shared a bro-hug and right before I was about to ask who his friend was, Rachel spoke up.

"Jessica, I want you to meet someone. This is Parker St. James. He plays baseball with Miles," she said. "Parker, this is Jessica Somerville, one of our closest friends."

Parker grinned at Jessica, his even white teeth almost blinding in the dreary December morning. He was about the same height as me, but broader shouldered, with longish light brown hair and brown eyes that were so dark, you almost couldn't separate them from his pupils.

"Nice to meet you, Jessica," he said, taking her outstretched hand and bringing it to his lips.

Smooth.

Miles threw his arm around me. "And this is my brother, Luke," he said, and I smiled.

"Nice to meet you, Parker," I said, nodding and extending my hand.

Parker shook my hand, and I was impressed by his grip.

I don't know why I was sizing him up. Probably because I knew Rachel well enough to know that she was introducing Jessica to Parker for a reason. And even though I broke up with Jessica, I still cared about her; I didn't want her going out with some kind of douchebag.

But this Parker guy actually seemed to be decent.

He better be, or he'll have me and Miles to answer to – not to mention Rachel.

Jessica

We had all agreed to go eat lunch, even Luke. Rachel and I were walking behind the guys, who were jabbering on about some video game.

I bit my lip as I watched Parker walk in front of me. He is really attractive, I admitted in my head I was checking out his ass when Rachel slipped her arm through mine.

"What do you think?" she hissed in my ear.

I looked at her sideways. "About what?" I asked, playing dumb.

She bumped me with her hip. "About Parker!"

I ran my eyes up and down his body again and grinned at Rachel. "He's totally hot."

"Yes!" she said, shaking her fist in the air. "I knew you'd think so." She dipped her head closer to mine. "It just so happens that he's single."

"Yeah? And does he have a thing for red-headed chicks on the rebound?" I teased.

"I don't know about the rebound part, but I showed him your picture the other day. He definitely thinks you're pretty," she said, and my skin heated up despite the chilly air.

"Really?"

"Yes." She grabbed my hand and started dragging me up toward the guys. "Talk to him," she whispered as she shoved her way between Miles and Luke and pulled them ahead of where I now walked next to Parker.

Parker shook his head and laughed. "She's something else," he said, indicating Rachel.

"Yeah, she's a mess," I agreed, and a shiver ran through my body. I was now regretting my choice of wardrobe and lack of jacket.

"You cold?" Parker asked, immediately shrugging his fleece jacket off his shoulders.

"No – you don't have to – " I started, but he had already laid it gently on my shoulders. I smiled and slid my arms into it. It smelled heavenly – like fabric softener and cologne – Polo Black, I think.

He smiled down at me. "I can't let a lady be cold in my presence," he drawled.

His accent suddenly stood out to me. "Where are you from? Not Florida, right?" I asked.

"I'm from Tennessee," he said. "Nashville."

"Nashville? Wow, that's awesome!" I exclaimed. "I've never been there, but I'd love to go one day."

He grinned. "It's only an eight-hour drive. Let's go," he joked, pretending to stop and turn around.

I blushed. Going anywhere with him sounded nice right about now.

"Let's start with lunch, yeah?" I said instead, and he smiled.

"Sounds good."