|| Epilogue

If I could hit pause, I would somehow

But it don't work like that.

-Luke Bryan, "Fast"

E I G H T E E N  M O N T H S  L A T E R

Brooke

"I can't believe you got all your credits in in time to graduate with us!" Miles exclaimed as the four of us walked out of the Donald L. Tucker Civic Center with our black graduation gowns billowing behind us.

"Me either; I almost killed myself doing 21 hours a semester and 18 hours in the summer, but I did it, and it was worth it. I can't imagine doing this without you guys," I said, pulling all three of them in to a hug. For the millionth time in the last 18 months, I thanked heaven that it had all worked out for me to move here.

"Aww, Brookie! I can't either," Rachel said, kissing me on the cheek.

We reached the quad where we had eaten so many lunches, studied for so many tests, and passed so many hours between classes. Miles and Rachel perched on a rock wall along the edge of the quad, and Luke and I sat on a bench opposite them.

"I can't believe it's over," Luke mused. "I guess we're all grown up now, eh?"

I laughed. "I don't think I'll ever really grow up."

"Me either. It's a trap," Miles said, pulling Rachel close to him. "So, Luke, when do you start working with Pops?"

"At the end of the summer. He's going to have me in charge of customer relations," Luke replied.

"Wow. That's incredible, bro. I'm proud of you," Miles replied. "Brooke? What are your plans?"

"Oh my gosh! I forgot to tell you guys! Adam offered me a job with Salazar Properties!" I exclaimed.

"What?" Rachel and Miles exclaimed at the same time.

"Yep. He wants me to be in charge of the remodel of the Thomas Drive properties. Most of those are the oldest properties in his possession and they really need a makeover," I said, and Luke squeezed my hand proudly.

"Brooke, that's amazing," Rachel said.

"Thank you," I responded. "Rachel, you're going immediately for your Master's degree, right?"

"Yeah, I can't get a job as a guidance counselor until I complete that degree and take the state assessment," she said.

"You're going to Florida State, right?" I asked.

She nodded and started to respond when Miles' phone rang.

"Hang on," he told us, pulling it out of his pocket, standing up when he answered.

He walked away from the group, talking in a low voice. Rachel glanced after him, but continued to tell me her plans. "Florida State has a great school counseling degree program, so I decided to just stay here since we already have a place and all," she said.

We heard Miles end his call, and when he came back to us, his face was white.

"What's wrong, bro?" Luke asked, standing up.

"That was Staff Sergeant Daniel Riggs," Miles said, and Rachel and I looked at each other in confusion.

"Staff Sergeant?" Rachel asked, standing next to Luke.

"Yeah - I - he wants me to join the Army - and become an engineering officer," he croaked.

We stood there in shocked silence until Rachel finally spoke.

"Miles? The - the army? I mean, is this what you want?"

He swallowed. "I don't know if this is what I want... but the US Army Corps of Engineers is one of the biggest public engineering firms in the world. It would be an opportunity like no other," he said, and even I could tell that it most definitely was what he wanted.

Rachel took his hand. "Babe, if this is what you want, you should definitely do it."

Miles bit his top lip with his bottom teeth. "Well, you may not say that when I tell you where their headquarters are."

Rachel's face betrayed nothing as she twirled her engagement ring around her finger. "Where is their headquarters, Miles?"

"Washington D.C."