36 | Revelation

With the headlights pointed at the dawn

We were sure we'd never see an end to it all

-Smashing Pumpkins, "1979"

Rachel

"Rachel, are you okay?"

"Rachel, Luke saved your life!"

"Are you all right?"

Questions were being shot at me from all directions, and I was so overwhelmed I was on the verge of tears. Miles wrapped his arm around me, sensing my panic.

"She's okay, but she's really shaken up. Can y'all give her a little space? And find Professor Fairchild, please," he said to the stage manager, who nodded and ran off backstage.

The curtains had closed, so I couldn't see the audience, but I knew our parents were still out there, and I really wanted my mom and dad in that moment.

"Miles, can you go get Mom and Dad?" I asked, looking up at him through my tear-filled eyes.

He nodded, kissing my forehead. Just then, Luke came backstage and Miles handed me off to him. "She wants to see her parents. Can you stay with her?" he asked.

Luke nodded. "Of course." He put his arm around me and squeezed gently. "Are you okay, Rach?"

"I'm fine. Just really freaked out."

Before Miles walked away, he wrapped Luke in a sudden hug. "Thank you, Luke, for being there for her. She could've – " His voice cracked and his eyes grew misty. "It could've been really bad," he whispered.

Luke hugged him back. "Of course, bro."

Miles looked at me one more time then went through the curtain to get my parents.

I glanced at Luke, whose eyes looked red-rimmed. "Luke, what happened with Brooke?"

He sighed. "You almost got squashed by a stage light, and you want to talk about me?"

I nodded. "Yep. I need a distraction."

So he told me everything they discussed outside, and when he told me that Jessica and Brooke were alone, I gritted my teeth.

"Don't worry; they're fine," he assured me.

"OH. MY. GOD. RACHEL, LUKE," Professor Fairchild's dramatic voice rang out from behind us. "Are you two all right?"

We turned around and she pulled us into a tight hug. "Yes, yes, we're okay," I insisted. "Just really freaked out."

Professor Fairchild looked up at the ceiling, her beautiful face contorted in confusion. "I just had the stage lighting checked last week before tech week started. These lights are practically brand new; there is no reason they should've fallen."

I gulped and glanced at Luke, who nodded. "Professor Fairchild... where is Iris?"

She looked around, her red curls sweeping over her shoulders. "That's odd. I don't know. I haven't seen her since... well, since 'You're the One that I Want.'"

"Professor, can we speak to you in private?" I asked in a low voice.

She nodded and led us back to her office.

"What's going on?" she asked, motioning for us to sit down in the chairs against the wall. She perched on the top of her desk.

I took a deep breath. "Iris Tate. Something's wrong with her," I said, knowing it wasn't a good explanation or even a good way to word it.