11 | Just a Play

It started out with a kiss

How did it end up like this?

It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss

- The Killers, "Mr. Brightside"

Rachel

The next few weeks passed with relatively little drama.

Except in Professor Fairchild's Theater I class. There was enough drama there to last us a lifetime.

"My precious Thespians," Professor Fairchild sang as she appeared from behind the curtain.

"Good afternoon, Professor Fairchild," we responded in unison.

"Today is going to be rather exhilarating, as we're going to do cold reads with a partner. I've got you paired up already, so when you hear your name, come get your script," she said, putting on her reading glasses.

"Rachel Cross and Luke Salazar, come on up," she called after reading a few other names.

We glanced at each other and smiled. "Thank God," Luke whispered.

We took the script from Professor Fairchild and hopped up on the edge of the stage, listening to the rest of the names being called.

When every duo had a script, she clasped her hands to her chest. "All right. I'm going to give you five minutes to read over your script with your partner one time. Here are the rules: read lines with feeling, depth, and emotion, stay in character to the best of your ability with the time given, and follow any and all stage directions. If you don't abide by these three rules, your first big grade for this class will be no higher than a 60%. Questions?" She looked around at us, and everyone shook their heads. "Okay, go!"

Everyone split up around the theater, and Luke and I took a corner at the back of the stage. As I began to read through the script, my eyes widened. "Oh, shit," I murmured, glancing up at Luke, whose face had gone pink.

"Is she serious?" I whispered.

He glanced at Professor Fairchild. "Uh, yeah. I think she is."

"Well, okay, let's just suck it up and do it. It'll be fine. It's just acting, right?" I said, trying to keep my voice steady.

Luke shrugged. "Right. No big deal."

"One more minute, people!" Professor Fairchild called.

We both took a deep breath in unison, which made us laugh.

"All right, everyone come have a seat in the first few rows, and we'll have Mr. Jones and Ms. Sparks go first, yes?"

We moved to the first row and sat uncomfortably through the first scene, then another, and another. We ended up being last.

"Finally, let's have Mr. Salazar and Ms. Cross," she said, motioning toward us.

We glanced at each other and stood up. "Here we go," I murmured.

Luke

I closed my eyes briefly as I stood across from Rachel under the bright stage lights. When she started speaking, I remembered what a good actress she was.

She was sitting on a chair in the center of the stage. "Benjamin, I don't know where you've been, but I'm starting to get suspicious."

I stepped toward her gingerly."Suspicious? Of what?"

She looked down at her feet, and then back up at me. "For the past week, you've been late home from work, and you've been distant. Are you cheating on me?" Tears filled her eyes. I smiled internally; Rachel really could cry on command.