34 | The Play's the Thing

But baby, can't you see?

There's nothing else for me to do.

I'm hopelessly devoted to you.

-Olivia Newton-John, "Hopelessly Devoted to You"

Miles

"Rachel, what time are your parents getting here?" I asked as she dried and teased her hair, getting ready for opening night.

"Luke and I have to be at the theater at 5:00, and the show starts at 7. I told them to get here around 6 and they could ride with you and Jessica. Your ma and pop are going to meet the rest of you guys at the theater since Adam has to work a little bit later than Dad. He just finished up a case yesterday so his load is lighter than usual," she answered.

"Gotcha." I checked my watch. "Y'all better leave soon. It's already 4:30."

She turned toward me, her grey eyes wide. "Shit!" She grabbed her makeup bag and kissed me on the cheek briefly. "Luke!" she yelled, running into the living room. "We have to go now!"

"Okay, okay, I'm coming," he called, leaving his room and meeting us by the door.

"Wait, Rach, I forgot something," Luke said, patting his jeans pocket. "My wallet."

She groaned. "Go get it, I'll be in the car."

"Break a leg, babe. I can't wait for tonight," I said, and she grinned.

"Love you."

"Love you too."

She rushed out the door and Luke shut the door quickly and stood there looking at me.

I raised my eyebrows. "Aren't you going to go find your wallet?"

He rolled his eyes and pulled it out of his pocket. "It's right here. I just needed to tell you something."

"Oh. What?" I asked, sitting down on the couch.

"I talked to Dad about Iris' father," he said.

I sat up straighter. "You did? What did he say? Was I right? Did William fire him or something?"

He shook his head. "No. Well, you were right about one thing: Mr. Tate definitely worked for William - but the thing is, he's still employed there." I gasped, and he kept talking. "Dad said he's one of his best employees."

I ran my hand over my face. This didn't make any sense. "Then what the hell is her problem?"

Lucas clapped me on the shoulder. "She must just really have the hots for you, bro," he said. "Listen, I gotta go before your woman kills me. See you at the theater."

I waved absentmindedly and sat deep in thought.

If Iris didn't have anything against William... why was she doing this? Just to try to win me over?

No. There had to be something else.

Jessica

The theater was packed. Luckily, Rachel had reserved an entire row for her parents, Miles, Mr. and Mrs. Salazar, and me. Mr. and Mrs. Cross, who insisted I call them Bradley and Susan, were two of the nicest people I had ever met. I had been really nervous to meet them, just because I was so painfully shy around new people, but they were truly amazing. I could see why Rachel was so kind and caring; she had clearly been raised well.