32 | Photograph

But I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo

What the hell am I doing here?

I don't belong here.

-Radiohead, "Creep"

Miles

"Bye, y'all! Thanks for coming!" I called to the last guests, a few of the guys from the baseball team. I closed the door behind them and leaned against it. "What a night," I sighed.

"You can say that again," Rachel replied, tossing cups and bottles into the trash can. She had taken off her heels and was back to being my itty bitty.

I grinned and walked up to her, pulling her chin up to meet my eyes. "You were fabulous tonight," I murmured.

To my surprise, her eyes filled with tears. "I was awful!" she exclaimed suddenly. "I was a monster!" She was still a little tipsy, swaying on her feet slightly.

I pulled her to my chest and held her tightly against me. "You were not. You stood up for yourself – for me – and she deserved what she got," I said, running my hand down the back of her head and through her hair.

"I didn't have to slap her," she sobbed. "I've never hit anyone in my life!"

"Shhh, baby, don't cry. And wanna know a secret?" I whispered.

She looked up at me and nodded, sniffling.

"Everyone hits someone at least once in their life. Welcome to the world, babygirl," I said, grinning. She laughed, and I wiped a tear from her cheek with my thumb. "There's that smile I love."

She sighed and wiped her eyes. "Thanks, Miles. But what are we going to do about her?"

I shrugged. "Just ignore her. I turned in the project already, so that's over. Just get through the play and we'll be good."

She nodded. "The play is next weekend, so it'll be over soon. But this week is tech week, so I'll be at the theater every night."

Luke and Jessica came into the kitchen then, and Luke clapped me on the shoulder. "Hey, I'll be there, so I'll make sure Iris leaves Rachel alone."

"Thanks, bro. I appreciate that," I said, and Rachel gave him a hug.

Jessica laughed. "If tonight is any indication, Rachel can hold her own," she said, bumping Rachel with her hip.

"True," Miles said. "But I like that Luke will be there to try to help keep the peace."

"Sure thing, brother." He turned to Jessica. "You ready to go to bed, Jess?"

She yawned in response. "Let's go," she said, holding her hand out to him. "Goodnight, everyone."

"Goodnight, guys," we called. I looked at Rachel. "Bed?"

She washed the last dish and put it away. "Yes, please." She bent over and picked up her Louboutins and I eyed them, wiggling my brows.

"You should wear those next time we..." I trailed off.

She grinned and slid her feet into them, walking toward me slowly and deliberately. "How 'bout right now?" she purred.

"Duh," I said, picking her up and taking her into my arms.

Jessica

I snuggled into Luke's arms, but I couldn't sleep.

Something was bothering me.