26 | Casting

Well there's a million other girls who do it just like you

Looking as innocent as possible to get to who

They want and what they like, it's easy if you do it right...

-Paramore, "Misery Business"

Rachel

My eyes snapped open and I looked at the alarm clock - 10:07 am. Damnit, I thought. Fairchild said the cast list would be up at noon.

I rolled over to see Miles' side of the bed empty. He had class this morning, whereas I had somehow managed to have no Tuesday/Thursday classes at all.

I stood up and stretched, padding into the bathroom to take a shower. I wanted to be there when Professor Fairchild put up the cast list.

As I washed my hair, I thought about which part I wanted. Playing Sandy would be fun, but I would also be happy with Rizzo. I rinsed my hair, stepping out of the shower and pulling it up into a huge bun on top of my head. I really needed a haircut, but I was loving how long it had gotten.

I heard a knock at my door, and I turned around to see Luke standing in the doorway. "Morning, Rachel," he greeted. "Can I come in?"

"Sure," I said, applying some eyeliner and mascara.

"Wanna ride together to check out the cast list?" he asked, sitting down at Miles' desk.

"Definitely. Maybe Miles can meet us for lunch before. I think he gets out of class at 11," I said, looking at him in the mirror.

"I'll text him," he said, pulling out his phone.

A couple minutes later, Miles answered with an "okay" and Luke and I were on our way to campus.

We walked into the on-campus Chick-Fil-A and Miles was already in line. I snuck up behind him and wrapped my arms around his waist. "Give me all your nuggets," I murmured in his ear.

He jumped a little and turned around. "Hey, love," he greeted me, kissing my forehead.

"Hey, handsome. I really do want a number 8," I said.

"I know you do, my little nugget," he teased. We stepped up to the cash register and he ordered for me, also paying for Luke's lunch.

"Bro, you know I'm as rich as you now, right?" Luke joked.

"Yeah, yeah, you can get it next time. I'll be sure to request The Melting Pot or something equally as expensive," Miles shot back.

"Fine. Pocket change, bro."

I rolled my eyes. Luke and Miles were always making jokes about their giant bank account balances. But I suddenly had a thought as we sat down to wait for our food.

"Luke, have you told Jessica about your financial situation?" I asked.

"It hasn't exactly come up in conversation," he answered, ripping up his straw wrapper into tiny pieces.

"I just wondered. She has asked me before how we afford such a nice apartment as college students. I just told her that William had left you guys a little money when he passed away," I said.

He nodded. "I guess I should tell her that whole story pretty soon. Is it okay with you, Miles?"

Miles nodded. "Sure. It seems like she's going to be around for a while, so she should know."