19 | Something's Missing

Why does it have to go from good to gone?

Before the lights turn on, yeah and you're left alone.

-Rascal Flatts, "Here Comes Goodbye"

Rachel

"What kind of pizza – " I started, but Miles and Luke came into the kitchen, both looking stricken. Jessica and I both looked up at them in confusion.

"What's wrong?" Jessica asked.

"It's Brooke," Luke said quietly. "She needs me to come to PCB right now."

"What? For what?" I asked, stopping my typing immediately.

Luke froze, as if the next words he needed to say were impossible. "She's having a miscarriage, Rachel," Miles whispered.

I closed my eyes. "Oh, no."

"Shit," Jessica said, and I looked at her and nodded.

"I have to go," Luke said.

"We're all going," I said, standing up and closing my laptop, the pizza abandoned.

"You don't have to do that, Rachel," he protested.

"Um, yes I do. She is my best friend. I have to be there for her, no matter what she's done," I said, trying not to sound angry, but failing.

Miles eyed me and I sighed. "Sorry, Luke. I didn't mean to snap. But we're going with you."

"Fine, fine," he agreed, going back to his bedroom.

Jessica stood up awkwardly. "I'm going to get out of your way," she said, pushing her chair in.

I looked at Miles and he shrugged.

"Why don't you come with us?" I asked.

"What? Seriously?" she asked in disbelief. "I don't think Luke would want me to."

"I do," Miles spoke up. "He's going to need someone to sit in the back with him on the way home, because no matter how this goes, it's going to be tough on him. You don't have to come inside the facility or anything."

She bit her lip, and Luke came in the kitchen at that moment. "Y'all ready?"

"Yeah," I said, hooking my arm through Jessica's. "I invited Jessica," I told him.

His eyes softened when he looked back at me. "You did?"

"Only if it's okay with you," Jessica said quickly, holding up her hands.

Luke smiled and pushed her hands down gently. "Of course it's okay with me. You're a good friend, Jess," he said.

She flushed. "Thanks, Luke. You too."

***

Ten minutes later we were on our way to Panama City in a very quiet, very somber car ride.

No one really spoke until we got to the rehab facility. "I'm just going to stay in the car, okay?" Jessica said quietly.

I glanced in the rearview and saw Luke nod and pat her on the knee. "We won't be long," he said.

"I'll stay too," Miles offered. "She probably wouldn't want me in there, anyway."

I glanced at him. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, definitely. You guys go ahead," he said. "We'll get out and take a walk if we get bored."

"All right," I agreed. "We'll be back soon." I leaned over across the armrest to kiss him, and he put his hand on my cheek.

"I love you," he murmured against my lips. "Be strong for her, okay?"