30 | Puzzle

I want your love

And I want your revenge

I want your love

I don't wanna be friends

-Lady Gaga, "Bad Romance"

Luke

"So, then you just stormed in and lit into her?" I asked, sitting forward in the recliner in shock.

"Yep. I had finally had enough. And now, I almost feel bad about it because the girl is clearly unbalanced," Rachel admitted.

"Eh, she'll be all right. Luckily the play is in two weeks, then we won't have to interact as much with her during theater," I pointed out.

"Right, that's true," Rachel said, getting up and going into the kitchen. "You want a drink?" she called to me and Miles.

"Yeah, sure," I answered.

Miles was just sitting there staring straight ahead.

"Uh, bro? You okay?" I asked, poking his ankle with my toe.

He turned toward me suddenly, his face a little pale. "Yeah. I'm fine."

"Do you want something to drink?" I asked.

He shook his head. "Miles is good," I called back to Rachel. "You're not good, dude," I said, dropping my voice.

He shook his head. "No, I'm not."

"What is it? This is just some chick that has a crush on you. That's had to have happened to you hundreds of times in your life. It's not that big of a deal... is it?" I asked.

He kept his voice down. "It's something else, Luke. There's something wrong. I don't – "

Rachel came in just then with a Sprite for me and a sweet tea in her other hand. "What are y'all talking about?" she asked, handing me the can and sitting on the couch next to Miles.

Miles shook his head at me almost imperceptibly. I cleared my throat. "The Halloween party," I said.

Rachel grinned. "Yes! That's next weekend!"

She started rattling on about the party and Miles looked at me gratefully.

I still wanted to know what he was talking about. I guess I'd have to get it out of him later.

Jessica

I paid for my coffee and turned around, running right into a person.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said, looking up.

It was Iris Tate.

Oh shit.

She was glaring at me. "Watch where you're going," she snarled.

I tilted my head back and squinted at her. "I said sorry. What is your problem?" I asked.

She didn't answer and shoved past me, spilling my iced coffee down the front of my hoodie.

"What the HELL?!" I exclaimed, tossing the cup in the trash can and wiping my chest down with a napkin. People were starting to stare, but I didn't care.

She turned back around and walked toward me, leaning in close.

"Tell your friend to stay away from me. Or I'll do more than just fuck her boyfriend," she whispered.