29 | Battle

No chains to unlock,

So free to do what he wants

he's into what he's got (and that's me).

-Dream, "He Loves U Not"

Miles

We managed to get out of Outback without running into Iris, and even though Luke and Jessica were poking fun at me, and I was trying to lighten up, I couldn't. Something about this girl really made me uneasy, and her following us was the icing on this creepy ass cake.

Rachel was quiet on the way back to campus, and it wasn't until we dropped Luke and Jessica off that she spoke.

"We don't need to worry about this girl, right, Miles?" she asked, her voice quiet.

"Absolutely not," I said, putting my hand on her knee and squeezing gently.

"Are you sure? I mean, she's in your class, right? And in the play with me. She's around a lot. And she obviously hates me," she said, taking off her seatbelt and turning toward me as I pulled into the spot next to her Camaro.

I put my hands on her cheeks. "You don't need to worry about a thing, baby. I will handle it. Okay? I promise."

She smiled and leaned her cheek into my palm. "Alright, I won't worry." She kissed my cheek and got out of the Jeep. "See you at home?"

"Yep. Be careful," I said, watching her get into her Camaro and pull off before I backed out of the parking lot.

I know I told her not to worry, but that was easier said than done - because I had a really bad feeling.

***

When I got home, Rachel had beaten me there and was walking up the stairs. I marveled for the millionth time at how beautiful she was, and she didn't even have to try. I got out of the Jeep and wolf-whistled at her. She turned around and grinned when she saw it was me.

"Hey sexy, your mama let you date?" I called.

She smirked. "Yeah, but I already have a man. He'll be home any minute, but you're welcome to come up and take a chance," she teased.

I slammed the Jeep door and chased her up the stairs. She squealed and took off toward the apartment. When we entered the living room, I grabbed her and pushed her against the door, kissing her deeply. I pushed her sweater off her arms and tossed it onto the couch.

"Mmm," she moaned. "Wait, wait, where's Luke?"

"He took Jessica to the movies," I mumbled against her lips. "They won't be back for hours."

"Oh," she murmured. "Well, carry on, then." She slid her hands under my shirt and pushed it over my head, running her hands down my chest, sending chills up my spine.

I picked her up and she wrapped her legs around my waist. I walked us into the kitchen and sat her on the table. She looked up at me hungrily, unbuttoning and unzipping my jeans, never breaking eye contact with me.

I looked down at her and was pleased to see she was wearing a skirt. Yes.

I pushed her gently back on the table and crawled on top of her. She grinned up at me.

"What?" I asked, pushing her hair out of her face.

"This is one place in the house we haven't christened," she said, laughing.