It's A...

It's been a week since Phil has started and to my surprise the kids actually liked him. "Well there is no denying that you are the best assistant for this classroom."

"Thanks but I already kind of knew you would pick me." he jokes stacking this weeks books on the shelf.

"Well part of taking that assistant job also means you agree to begin head of this class room when I leave." I say to him.

"Wait where are you going." his blue eyes look at mine.

"I'm leaving for maternity leave at the end of January, so you will running this room until the end of March." I inform him.

"You're only going to be gone 2 months so I think I could handle that." he laughs.

"We will see, anyways I have an appointment and you have to finish up here." I grab my bag and head to the door.

"Have a great weekend," he yells as I leave the room. The drive to the hospital is easy and the room isn't quite as full when push the door open.

"Mrs.Patrick Dr.Yang is ready for you, no need to wait." the lady behind the window tells me. I've been coming about twice a month just to get the simple ultrasound.

I lift myself up to the chair and lean back waiting for Dr.Yang. Moments later she walks in and smiles at me. "Are you ready for the gender or do you still not want to find out." she laughs.

By 5 months now one can tell the sex but I've been pushing back. "I think I'll just wait another month." I tell Dr.Yang and the smile from her face falls.

"Come on isn't the anticipation killing you." she laughs and begins the set up. From the small period I've know Dr.Yang she's been a great support system with my whole single parent situation. I think about it and the anticipations has somewhat dug it's way into me, that and my mother is just as excited as I am.

"Actually I want to know." I tell her and she looks up.

"Seriously Bethany." she smiles and a small laugh leaves he mouth.

"Yes seriously." I say and then ultrasound screen turns on. In the dark room only the blue screen give light. Dr.Yang looks around the screen for a minute giving it one good look.

"Okay he or she is doing okay, now ready to find out what he or she is." she jokes and turns to me. I nod my head furiously. "Well you will be glad to know that she's doing okay and that you need to relax more." she laughs lifting her hand for a high five.

"She!" I scream in the small room.

"She." Dr.Yang nods. "Now let me go get your pictures." I'm left in the room and touch my stomach, it's a girl. I was hoping for a boy since I already had Chris but now that she said girl I'm a little happier. I look at the door then up to the ceiling.

"Ryan, it's a girl. She's missing out on a fantastic dad and I hope she does fine without one.You know I'm trying my best, Chris also hasn't mentioned you since our no daddy talk. I know he remembers you so thanks." I whisper to myself just as the door opens. I get my pictures from Dr.Yang and make the drive to my mother's to pick up Chris and share the news.

Pulling into my mothers house I walk in and her and Chris lay on the floor watching tv. I take a seat at the couch "Hey buddy how was your day?" I ask Chris as he sits on my lap.

"Good." he smiles and my mom stands to sit next to me.

"Any news about the baby." and I know she's hinting at the gender.

"Not much everything is okay and she's in good health." I smile as my mother slowly catches onto the words.

"She's okay! She's okay she's okay!" my mother smiles and she dabs her eyes. "Martin she's okay." she yells at my dad who is in the other room.

"She?" Chris looks at us.

"Chris mommy is having a girl, you are going to have a sister." my mom cheers and Chris laughs at her excitement.

"Her name is she." he says then my mother laughs harder.

"No she doesn't have a name yet." I tell Chris and he just shrugs it off. I stay at my mothers house for a while longer before leaving with Chris and heading home.

I walk it into kitchen and check the home phone voice mail.

"Uh sorry but I need help." the voice says and I skip to the next message.

"Oh this is Phil if I didn't mention that in the last message. Either way how do you grade these assignments and do I set up the folders for this week or do we do that-" the message cuts off and I laugh to myself.

"Sorry last message ran too long but do you want me to set up the folders or should I just wait until Monday." the last message ends and begin making dinner. After feeding Chris giving him his bath and reading him a story before bed it's already 8:40

I walk over to the kitchen and pick up the phone redialing the previous number. After 3 rings I Phil picks up. "Do you like ignoring my calls." he laughs.

"No I wasn't home so I couldn't pick up, how did you get this number anyways." I ask.

"Oh I asked for it down at the office I guess they gave me home phone." he sighs.

"Well here's my cell." I give him my number and he thanks me. "Now about the folders we can just do that Monday after class I always do them Monday. Grading papers is easy if they look like they got the work down just mark a check, some don't show work but we are just checking for accuracy right now."

"Accuracy got it." he says.

"Is that it." I ask.

"Pretty much work wise. How did the appointment go."he asks and why on earth would he care.

"The Baby is fine and the doctor told me it's a girl." I smile and imagine the time when I called Ryan 2 years ago to share similar news about Chris.

"That's great but I hoping for a boy you could've named him Phil." he laughs.

"I would never name my kid Phil." I laugh. "It sounds weird and I will stick to normal names."

"Phil is a classic name any kid named Phil is blessed." he says with a deep voice.

"Well that could be debated." I tell him.

"It's pure fact Bethany." he tells me "Now that you think about it Bethany isn't the greatest name either."

"Bethany is popular among girl names, lots of people like the name." I defend.

"That could be debated." he say obviously trying mimic my voice, and we both laugh.

"If you're done mocking me I have some things to finish." I tell him.

"Yeah I just had the few a questions." he finishes "Goodnight."

"Ok night." I say hanging up the phone. I check the clock and it's a little past nine. Before heading to bed I load the dishwasher and fold some laundry then take a shower. I lay down on my bed and turn on the tv but daze off minutes later.