Christmas

Phil doesn't notice my being here so I just sit down on the floor next to him. I sit silently and just tilt my head to look at him. After a minute of just the Christmas melody playing he looks at me.

His previous blue eyes were now surround by red and he has this tired look on his face. Despite looking tired he faintly smiles at me. "Hi." he sighs.

"I didn't know you drank." I take the bottle from him and set it aside.

"Not really but a do occasionally." he shrugs "Couldn't sleep, what are doing here."

"Couldn't sleep either, how many have you drank." I ask him. He chuckles and points to the table, I look up and find 5 other bottles. "Little too much don't you think."

"You could say but it's a once a year thing." He looks to me. His breath has that hint of alcohol but it doesn't bother me.

"Something wrong Phil this isn't you." I brave asking and he looks at me with a hard face.

"I don't know I'm fine you don't have to pity poor fucking Phil." he snaps I know this isn't him but his intoxicated system talking.

"I'm not pitying you Phil." I grab his shoulder, but he jerks back.

"No Beth don't touch me." he shakes his head at me. "You always do this shit and it's been messing with my mind."

"What exactly is it that I've been doing?" I'm in confusion he's so close yet so closed off.

"This you make me feel like you like me or some shit like that but you just I don't know it's confusing." he say quickly slurring a few of his words. "Can you just leave me alone." he sighs.

"Sure we can talk in the morning." I smile at him.

"No Bethany like we need to stop this whole flirting or whatever the fuck this game is." he helps me stand.

"I never wanted to give you mix signals Phil, I was just being myself around you." I look at him. "I don't want to affect our teaching." I frown.

"It won't because I'm going to ask to be reassigned." he looks at me and his eyes don't carry the same shine. "I'll find another assistant for you but I can't just do." he doesn't finish his sentence.

"Phil please talk why can't you just stay," I say but try to not sound hurt.

"It's better i don't know." he shrugs.

"You can't say I don't know for everything Phil, let's talk when you're sobered up." I look up to him "Merry Christmas." I smile.

"Sure Merry Christmas." He rolls his eyes and walks towards his and Sam's guest room. I walk up stairs and lay down on my bed. What he was saying was just the drinks he's had talking, that guy downstairs wasn't Phil. I just hope he's better in the morning.

I'm woken up by the sound of Chris jumping and squealing "presents presents."

"Okay big guy let's go see if you got any presents." I laugh and help him out his crib.

"I good boy." he laughs.

We walk down stairs and Chris makes his way to the tree to find his stack of presents. I watch as he tries to tear the gifts open, my mom is sitting on the couch and laughs. "Need help Chris."

"No no I can do it." he nods at her and gets a small tear in the box.

"Wrapped it to tight huh." I laugh and sit next to my mom.

"He's got to work for his present." she smiles. Slowly everyone creeps out of their room and we open gifts, I usually just open them at home.

"So where's Veronica." Michael laughs.