30

I wake up to noises of bangs and clatters. Am I being robbed?

I slowly get up and slip on my slippers. I grab a pillow even though this really isn't effective at protecting me. Exiting the room I see clutters of shadows flashing from the kitchen.

"Hello." I yell and the shadows stop their movement. I drop the pillow and walk to the door. Seconds later it hits me.

"Happy Birthday Bethany!" The people in the kitchen yell, and I suddenly remember. Shit I'm 30.

"Don't tell me you forgot your own birthday champ." Sam slaps my shoulder. He pulls in for a hug "Open this alone it's from someone." he slips and envelop into the pocket of my robe.

I walk through the kitchen and say hi to everyone, I'm guessing this is a breakfast birthday since everyone is still dress in pajamas. "We know you aren't much of a celebratory person Beth so we decided on a waffle birthday breakfast." my mom smiles with Catherine in her hands.

"Thanks." I smile and pick up a plate.

"Isn't this everything you've ever wanted." Michael bumps me and laughs.

"Yes this is exactly what I wanted on the big 3-0. " I laugh and pick at the waffles. "No but what I really wanted was someone to spend it with."

"Are we talking about a specific someone... like Phil." he looks at me.

"Well that would've been extra special." I roll my eyes. "I mean I don't want to be another Veronica." I shake my head and pour more syrup on the waffles.

"Hey at least you have kids." he shrugs.

"Yeah but I'm a bit tired of doing it alone." I sigh. "So enough about me and my pitiful life, how are you and Dan doing." I smile and grab his hands.

"Well I didn't really want to tell anyone but I'm thinking of getting married." he shakes.

"Whoa it's about time." I smile. "Who's popping the question." I ask

"I'm not sure I was thinking me but a part of me wants to be proposed to." he laughs.

"Well that part of you is right." Dan taps his shoulder. "I'm sorry about taking the attention away Beth but Michael." Dan drops to one knees and reveals a wedding band. I look around and a new banner drops revealing "Happy Engagement!!!"

"And obviously you know yes." Michael smiles and the two kiss. I congratulate Michael and Dan quickly and let this commotion be my time to slip out.

I quickly walk to my room shut the door and jump on the bed. I reach into my pocket and pull out the envelop. I look at the outside trimming, it's a shimmering lace with a giant B printing in the front.

My fingers trace the outline once and then I open it. Inside there's a card and I open it slowly. Scribbled over both sides of the card are a familiar hand writing.

Dear Beth,

Hopefully Sam wasn't a complete ass hole like he was earlier and actually handed you this card. Because of earlier event in our lives I couldn't hand this to you in person just yet, but I still wanted to wish you a happy birthday. 30 is quite the number and boy are we getting old.

Besides the happy birthday I wanted to explain our last encounter. I hope you didn't take too harshly when I said that I didn't love you, cause I do.

All these things seemed to rush through my head at 1,000mph. And on that wedding day I didn't except you to say anything, I thought you would just bite your tongue and stay silent but you didn't. And for that I'm happy, I'm happy you've finally voiced your emotions to me. I've taken a break from relationships and maybe next time we meet things would have changed.

You're amazing Beth and please stay strong. I know I haven't been much help but I hope I at least give you a silver lining. You've been doing great for someone who has been doing it alone.

P.S.
I love you, Chris and Catherine.
P.S.S.
Thank you for all your love that wasn't expressed soon enough.

-Happy Birthday
-Phil.

Author's Note
Hey guys! Here's an early morning update. Also happy thanksgiving! I'm super excited to just be pigging out another day. Hope all of you are safe and express love and gratitude to those who you might not thank enough.

Back to the story. I'm almost at the wrapping up stage and it's bittersweet. Thanks to everyone who has read and I can't wait for the big final.

-XOXO
Ann