Chapter 39- Taunting Ignorances

[] A M E L I A []

Leo didn't waste a second in trying to get me to stay. He constantly asked what was wrong, but I simply told him I wanted to rest. In the end, he finally sighed, grabbed my hand in his, and dragged me to his car. I grumbled the entire way about him holding my hand, but at last, he gave me a look, instantly shutting me up.

He finally dropped me off at my dorm, seemingly upset about me wanting to be here, rather than with him. However, he gave me a small smile and told me to sleep in, whereas he would go to class for the both of us. And if that wasn't enough to make me want to die of guilt, he even brought me breakfast after class and got Fatima to bring it in for me. Apparently, he had been waiting for someone outside for the past twenty minutes, and he recognized Fatima from when he met her before. When I took the brown paper bag from her, she only smiled and said that "your boyfriend takes good care of you."

That was the last straw.

I had drowned in enough guilt to last me three lifetimes.

I knew it wasn't nice of me to leave him the morning after everything that happened last night. However, I knew that I couldn't stay. The more I stayed with him, the more I wouldn't be able to walk away. It was only just before I was going to his place last night that I realized I had some sort of feelings for him. Feelings that escalated friendship.

And in the next moment, my past came around the corner to hunt me down.

And that was that. It was as if it was a sign, a warning, telling me not to get too close to Leo. As if something was telling me that bad things would happen if I continued to be around him. But there I was, following him to his house right after he beat the living daylights out of Jackson.

I sighed as I stared at the yellow sticky with a smiley face that was stuck on the brown paper bag.

And then, I went back to my bed, curling myself into a hopeless ball on it, still wearing Leo's clothes.

* * *

Friday came and went by with me moping around all day. Everyone had been busy trying to study for finals, therefore no one cared about my whereabouts, which was helpful to me.

Now that it was Saturday evening, my phone finally tinged with my first text message in two days. Surprisingly, it was Andre.

Hey little one, dinner at my place tonight? And sadly no, it won't be a date ;) Jamal won his game yesterday so it's a celebratory dinner -Andre.

I smiled at his text. I put my phone down, wondering about what I should do. It was inevitable that Leo would be there too. However, Gemma and Jamal would also be there. With the events of yesterday, I felt as if I needed to get out of the four claustrophobic walls of my room.

More than that, I had actually missed Jamal's first winning game, since I was trying to avoid Leo. Feeling obligated to go to at least his celebration dinner, I responded with a short 'I'll be there,' to Andre.

As for Leo, it would be easier to ignore him as long as there were others around.

I was ready around 8, and to my surprise, that's when I heard a knock at my door. For a moment, I was frozen with fear, thinking of who it could be on the other side.

Was it Leo?

Or worse, Jackson?

With my heart beating a mile a minute, I slowly inched towards the door. I took a peek through the peephole, and sighed in relief when I saw Gemma on the other side.