Chapter 70- Taunting Revisits

[] A M E L I A []

Dad and I sat on our backyard porch, under a giant umbrella that protected our table from getting any snow. We were across from each other, allowing us to gauge each other's expressions. We were silent, both of us sipping at our hot chocolates that he had made for us. It turns out that that's precisely why he was looking for me, to get me have a cup of hot chocolate with him. After searching the entire house, Leo's room is where he found me.

"He seems like a good guy," Dad said to break the silence, surprising me.

I swallowed and realized that 'good' didn't even cut it. I nodded slowly, smiling as I looked down to my mug.

"He's a great person dad. Just like you," I said softly.

I heard dad sigh from across the table. I looked up at him, only to see him smiling lightly at me.

"He seems better than anything I could have ever been for you. He made you smile and protected you when I couldn't," dad said, his voice heavy.

I let out a small breath and stood up from my chair. I walked over to him, taking the spot beside him. I encased his hand in my own, resting it on the cold table in front of us.

"That's not true. No one is better than you dad. Can never be," I said, remembering all the times he was there for me.

Dad shook his head, gripping my hand tightly.

"You got kidnapped, Amelia. That bastard had a gun to your head. And I couldn't do anything. I could only sit at home and wait. But that boy, he broke barriers for you. Gemma told me about all the times he fought for you," dad said.

"That's because he's crazy. He fights physically for anyone he cares about," I jokingly said, trying to ease the situation.

Dad chuckled lightly at that.

"You know, that reminds me of your mother."

My eyebrows rose in surprise.

"Mom used to fight?" I asked, shock evident in my voice.

"Oh yeah. She'd beat up all the bullies in our school. I used to watch her from afar, not thinking I was good enough. She surprised me one day when she walked up to me, asking why I always stared at her. I told her I wanted to learn to fight like her. And even after all these years, I can't pack a punch half as good as hers," he said, laughing lightly.

I chuckled along with him, surprised to hear about this bit of their past. I knew my parents were together for a long time, I just didn't know it went that deep.

Dad turned to me then, a certain mirth in his eyes I couldn't place.

"Was the hoodie his then?" he asked.

I blushed and nodded.

"Going for medicine?" he asked again.

"Yeah. He wants to be a doctor," I said proudly.

Dad took a sip from his hot chocolate.

"Good choice."

I nearly choked on my spit. After a moment, Dad turned to me with a sigh, his eyes shining.