Chapter 44- Taunting Stories

[] A M E L I A []

"OMG!" Gemma squealed. "I can't believe you hugged him like that!"

She was shaking with excitement, causing my lips to form a nervous smile.

"It wasn't intentional," I mumbled.

But Gemma was already talking over me, her voice loud enough to wake up my neighbors. Poor Fatima next door deserves an award for putting up with us.

"-and then he hugged you back, and he was all like- "don't worry, I'm okay Moonie"- and I was swooning, and goodness gracious girl, that kind of hug only exits in fairytales! I swear everyone in the café was jealous."

I groaned and dug my face into my pillow. After a moment, I finally sat up straight again, bringing the pillow into my lap.

"Gemma! Can we not bring it up, please?" I said embarrassed.

Gemma smirked at me.

"Why? Is the pretty boy too much to talk about for our whittle Amelia?" she teased, coming over to lightly pinch my cheeks.

I swatted her away, chuckling as I did so. Gemma laughed at my reaction, and then we fell into a comfortable silence. For a second, her gesture reminded me of something Andre did earlier at Leo's apartment, and I had a sudden revelation.

"Alright, enough about me," I said, turning to Gemma with a serious look.

She gave me a confused look and I simply patted the spot beside me for her to take. She jumped up on the bed beside me, swinging her legs over the edge.

"What's up?" she asked.

It took me a moment to figure out how to say it, but when I did, it came out as nothing I had planned earlier.

"What's going on with you and Andre?" I blurted out.

It was something that had been bothering me for the longest time. Specifically after Jamal's game-winning party. They were odd the following days after that, and then slowly went back to being normal. However, I couldn't find the time to talk to Gemma about it.

Her silence worried me, and for the next few moments, that's all there was between us. I squeezed her shoulder in order to get her attention.

She sighed and turned to me.

"I just... I don't know how to say it Amelia. I don't know if I should say it. Because I might be wrong Amelia. Goodness, I pray that I'm wrong."

By the end, she was murmuring to herself. My worry increased tenfold and I scooted closer to where she sat.

"What is it Gemma?" I mumbled. "Do you... do you like him?"

Gemma stiffened under my touch, causing me to frown further.

"Gemma if that's the case then-"

Before I could finish my sentence, my phone rang desperately. I sighed and reached over to my side table to get it. I was surprised to see Jamal's name pop up on the screen. Gemma rose a brow at me in question, and I showed her the flashing screen. She only nudged me to pick it up. I gave her a pointed look, murmuring 'this conversation isn't over yet,' before turning back to my phone.

"Moonie," a voice sang as I brought the phone up to my ear.

I furrowed my brows in confusion, wondering who it was. Although Jamal had called me, the voice didn't sound like his usual gravelly one. And surprisingly, the nickname didn't sound right coming from someone besides Leo.