Chapter 12

"The heart is the fountain of unspoken words."

°°°°

Isabella Carson

I can still feel the sting of his bite on my shoulder, by marking me he had made me a marked female lycan. There is no significance to the mark other than the fact that I was now his. Gingerly, I walked to the stream and was about to clean up a little. He stopped me with a monosyllabic command.

"I need to wash- "

"No. Keep it inside of you, Isabella." He ordered.

For the first time since my stay here with Malcolm, I felt a flicker of anger lick through my body like an angry wave. He was demanding and incorrigible. I know for a fact that he felt what I felt when he was on top of me. I can see it in his eyes. I gave him everything and yet he was still treating me like he didn't care what I thought.

He watched me, waiting for me to react. I blinked and looked away, unable to look at him. Throwing on the clothes quickly, I passed him without another glance. I heard him growl but it didn't stop me. I didn't want to be near him. In fact, I wanted to be anywhere but here with him. I don't like the way he was looking at me all the time.

Even if I allowed him to do all these things to me, I still had a great amount of pride left. I felt a warm, rough grip on my elbow that tugged me around to face him. He wore an emotionless expression as he spoke the next words.

"The mark on your shoulder means nothing. You are still nobody to me. Don't think that because you bear my mark that I still have feelings for you because I don't. This doesn't change anything." Each word he spoke was like a knife to the heart. I fought back tears because I wasn't going to let him see how weak I was. Averting my gaze, I looked at the scenery before me.

"Do you understand?" His voice dropped a dangerous note bringing my attention back to him.

"I understand. I am still your prisoner. The mark is meaningless." I replied in a monotonous tone.

His jaw worked back and forth and I turned my gaze back to the scenery unable to look at his thunderous blue eyes that flare up in anger. "I want to go back to the room now."

I shouldn't be so eager to go back but if it means I can get away from him and get a few moments to myself. I would do it and he knew it. His fingers biting into my skin as his grip tightened.

"No, you will remain by my side a little longer." He growled.

My eyes snapped to him and he met my eyes head on. Waiting if I will fight him again. My fingers dug into my palms as I fisted my hand at my side.

"Fine," I answered.

Subsequently, he let go of me. We continued up the hill and back to the courtyard. I was silent the whole way there. All I could think about was how can the male lycan who can ignite such an enticing fire inside of me make me feel cold and forgotten so quickly. I knew that he did it because he was angry but I didn't know how to tell him why I left.

When we entered the great hall, most of the lycans were sitting and eating lunch already. Their head lifted curiously as we walked passed. I am sure they could sniff Malcolm's scent on me. Even I couldn't stop the heat that flared in my cheeks.

Malcolm took hold of my arm again and directed me to a seat next to him. When I looked up I saw Damon sitting across from me. An older male lycan sat to Damon's left. A deep scowl on his face as he glared at me. Instantly, I felt uncomfortable around him. The old male Lycan's gaze was threatening and malicious.