Chapter 26

Author's Note:

Hello!

It feels like forever since I last updated. It's been a crazy week at home and at work. Being a mommy isn't an easy job (Exhaustion mode activated). I think it is safe to say that I look at my parents with the upmost gratitude. They have done so many tremendous things for my siblings and I. Taking a little time in appreciating them is always well worth it!

My schedule for this week is crazy – I will be away on starting on Thursday and will not return until Tuesday. Therefore, there will not be any updates during that time.

Leila

Isabella Carson

It seems a little unbelievable that he was really dead. Again, Malcolm stayed true to his words. He fought for me, maybe leaving him ten years ago was the wrong choice. I should have given him my trust but can you blame me? I was terrified of Pete and the things he was capable of. The male lycan was a heartless bastard. He was a sadist and narcissist. He manipulates people to believe he was superior to them. Although, his trick didn't work on Malcolm.

I am not sure if Alexine will ever learn to trust again. The female lycan before me looks broken as ever. As if there is nothing left inside of her. When I took her to the guest bedroom, she took cautious steps as if everything was a trick and that she wasn't truly in fact free.

But was she?

Even after Pete's death, he had already accomplished what he wanted with Alexine. He made her fear for her life. He managed to pin her down under his thumb and watched her become weak.

In my hands, I carried a pair of my clothes for her to change into. She was my height just what Pete wanted. I imagine she carried a little more weight like me but now she was thin as a skeleton.

"Alexine," I said softly and she turned around to look at me. I pointed to the spare bathroom. "You can shower in there. Here are some clothes you can change into. They are yours to keep."

She nodded and slowly took the clothes from my hands before walking to the bathroom. When I heard the shower running I walked over to the fireplace and threw a few logs into the fire that was already started before we arrived. The room was quickly cleaned with new sheets for Alexine.

Ten minutes later, Alexine walked out of the bathroom looking so much better than before. All the dirt and stench had been cleaned off her body. Her pale skin a complete contrast to the night. She had her arms wrapped around her body. The cream sleeping gown I brought for her now hung on her body loosely.

"If I wanted to leave, would you let me?" She asked meekly.

I frowned, "Do you want to leave?"

She shrugged, "I-I don't know. I don't know how I feel. I-I just want to feel safe."

"You are safe. The lycans here will not harm you." I assured her. "You can trust me. I know how it must feel right now but there are better lycans out there. Not everyone is like Pete."

She took in a large breath before exhaling slowly like she was calming her nerves. She pointed to the bed.

"Will I be sleeping there?" She asked.

I nodded. "This is your room."

She walked over and sat down on the large queen size bed. Her eyes stared into the fireplace as she caressed the warm comforter underneath her.

"Pete never let me sleep on the bed. He always made me sleep on the floor with no rug, blankets, or pillows." I walked over and sat down next to her. Together, we both looked into the fire.