|Chapter 19. Consequences! |

Another week passes by and my nervousness continues to grow. At work, I try not to let anyone notice, especially not Manik. He can't know anything, even if I'm not... you know. Now again you're wondering if there were any new developments with Manik and his stupid challenge. You see I have been pretty good at avoiding him. I had my secretary say I was out every time he tried to come in my office. This was difficult considering our cabins are next to each other, but somehow I managed. I just feel like I might yell at him for possibly getting me pregnant if he comes anywhere near me. I still vomit every now and then, but for now I'm just hoping that doctor is wrong. What do doctors know anyways... Oh Aayiappa, I'm hopeless!

So I'm sitting in my car, stopped at a stoplight. I decide to check my phone to see if I got any voicemail or missed calls. Apparently I had one missed call from the doctor's office. My heart sinks as I see the number. I notice the green light because of the honks from several cars behind me. I quickly start driving and pull over into an empty parking lot a couple blocks from my house. I need to find out right this second. I can't possibly call from home, considering my very trusting parents are at home. I really feel ashamed to be worried about something like this.

I take a deep breath and punch in the numbers on my cell phone. As soon as the secretary at the doctor's office picks up, I answer, "Hi, I got a call about an hour ago." The female voice replies, "Oh yes ma'am! Well I just wanted to inform you that you're blood test results have come back and it is negative. You aren't pregnant ma'am."

HELL YES!! At that moment I felt so happy, the happiest that I have probably ever felt. I am not carrying Manik's child! Thank goodness! I don't know what I would have done if I was. I don't know what I could have done to prevent him from taking advantage of the situation if he ever found out. Thankfully I won't have to worry about this anymore!

I start hearing the secretary ask, "Miss? Are you still there?" I laugh while replying, "Yes, I'm still on the line" She laughs, "Oh alright, well you can pick you're blood reports up whenever you want." I smile saying, "Thank you so much!" She chuckles, "Have a good day Mrs. Mehta!" I laugh for a few seconds until my brain processes what she just said. WHAT?! WHO THE HELL IS MRS. MEHTA?!

I quickly say, "Hello? Hello?" She responds, "Yes?" I ask somewhat sacredly, "Did you just say Mrs. Mehta?"She replies unsurely, "Yes..." I angrily say, "I'm Nandini Murthy!" She gasps, "Oh I'm so sorry ma'am I really am. It's just that I also called Mrs. Mehta because her blood test had also arrived today. I just got confused. I have you're reports as well Mrs. Murthy. Oh it seems that you're blood test came out positive!" I start stuttering stupidly, "Positive?" She replies slowly, "Yes ma'am, you are pregnant! Congratulations!" I hear a click on the other side and I robotically move the phone away from my ear, tossing it aside.

I don't know when the tears sprang in my eyes and slid down my face. All I know is that they are there. As soon as I reach up to wipe them away, I feel more stream down my cheek. It's too soon! I'm still in shock. I'm too scared to face the reality of my situation. This is going to change everything. I can't raise a baby on my own and abortion is not even an option. I could never kill a child, no matter what the circumstances are.
Questions spring to my mind. I feel so ashamed. I'm my parents only child and I tarnished their image because my stupidity. They are going to be so angry. I don't know if I can tell them the truth. They will hate me I just know it! How will I face them now? I did something so immoral; I will shatter their hopes and dreams in a matter of minutes. How will I be able to look myself in the eye anymore?
What will my parents think? Why did I have to drink at the reception? Why did his car have to break down? Why did I suggest going to the cottage? Why didn't I see Manik for who he was, the man who had broken my heart? Why didn't I stop myself, stop us? Why couldn't the idiotic moron have used protection? Why did I have to be the pregnant one? Why couldn't I be Mrs. Mehta? All these questions, none of which I can answer.

I feel my whole world come crashing down upon me, it's all falling apart...every last bit. There is no one to pick up the piece because no one else can. No one except Navya, and I can't tell her right anything. It would ruin her honeymoon. I can't ruin this for her. She's my best friend and she deserves to be happy. I don't understand what is going on with my life and why I always end up getting hurt? First I fall in love with him, and then get heartbroken. He waltzes back into my life, while I seek revenge. I get even with him, but find out I am carrying his child.

Whatever the case may be, I can't tell him anything. He must never find out. I know he will just use this as an excuse to win the stupid challenge he made to himself. That or he will exploit me in public to humiliate me like I did him. After mulling over the information for a while, I decide to go pick up the reports so that I could see it for myself. When I came to the doctor's office, I just picked up the envelope and walked out. In a matter of minutes my whole life just turned upside down, from that one phone call. Who knew a phone call could change your life? I sure didn't.

After spending some hours at the beach, thinking about how my life will be changing, I finally get enough courage to drive home. I park in the driveway and slowly make my way up to the door. I quietly open the door and hear lots of laughing coming from inside. I guess my parents have company over, which is good for me since I can prolong telling them about my pregnancy. I walk towards the sound, so I can quickly greet the guests and dart upstairs to my room. As soon as I walk in the living room, my legs refuse to respond any further.

I see him, sitting on my couch, eating my food, and talking with my parents. It was Manik Malhotra along with his mother and father. I slowly approach my parents as they acknowledge my presence, "Nandini Beta, come sit." Manik looks towards me surprised and then has an evil glint in his eye. I stand there uneasily under his gaze. Then I greet his parents and begin scanning the room for an empty seat. The only seat that is empty happens to be next to Manik.
Aayiappa I am sure that Moron Malhotra have bribed you also, you are soo bad!!

I groan inwardly and make my way to sit next to him. Our parents just look towards me and smile widely. This seems a bit odd to me. I can also feel Manik's piercing gaze on me, yet I refuse to look.

******