1|Friends

Adam can’t remember a day in his life before meeting Austin that he’d ever been called freak affectionately. He had been called one before, the worst of it by his parents. His momma would curse him under her breath whenever something wasn’t good enough, even if it wasn’t his fault. Freak was one of her favourites. His dad never directly said he was a freak but that made the sickening feeling in his stomach all the worse. It was implied though, implied in the way dad favoured  Chris over him. So when Austin strolled along, body of Adonis and strong jawline that had Adam's heart in his throat and mind on repeat of holy fuck it was safe to say shit changed.

It started when Adam, painfully shy Adam, bumped into the stranger at a coffee shop. Safe to say nothing was spilled, but Adam had turned around too quick, had almost ended in a lip lock with the very attractive stranger. He squeaks, high in the back of throat and recoils like the stranger was the embodiment of fire. The man before him blinks, once then twice before a half smirk pulls at his lips. He opens his mouth to say something but is pushed along by another guy, who stands taller than both him and the perfect stranger.

The original stranger, the one Adam almost accidentally kissed, had sandy locks of hair loose in a wavy bob, a jawline straighter than Adam’s sexuality and grey grey eyes. The second stranger, the taller, had brown locks, and equally as brown eyes. Adam looks down and moves back to his table, back to the eager greetings of his best friend Jenika, who had both worried eyes and hopeful ones.

“Adam?” she says, not breaking eye contact with the taller man. Adam hums, still dazed about pretty grey eyes. Her eyes glint with mirth, the corners of her mouth tilting upwards. “Loverboy, eh?” She grins. Roses as red as blood bloom on Adam’s cheeks, tongue twisting in his jaw like a snake, knotting like hair. He makes a vague noise of distress and sits down, hands absently holding his drink in bony hands.

Jenika opens her mouth, attempting to say something without knowing what, before smiling, teeth showing slightly, almost flirtatiously – but no, not at Adam. It seems intentional, and Adam’s brow furrows, lips pursing as he turns to follow Jenika's line of sight.

A pretty brunette stands, wearing a black tee with a purple scrawl, as well blue jeans that go well with brown boots. She’s pretty, and she’s looking right at Jenika. Oh. Adam smirks, a lopsided pull of his lips, looking down at his drink. He looks a Jenika, Jenika who’s still staring, and smiles wider when she glares at him.

“We’re both suckers for pretty, huh?” He muses almost bitterly.

“No darling, you suck, I eat,” she doesn’t miss a beat, sipping at her drink, smiling as Adam falls into hysterics. His smile is pulled wide and his shoulders shake and god, his stomach hurts, but it’s beautiful. “I mean, unless that’s her equipment, in which case, yes, I do suck,” she adds. Adam slows the laughter, smiling at his friend. She smiles back, eyes flicking over his shoulder.

“Loverboy is looking,” she coos, eyes closing as she smiles. Adam glows pink, burning around the edges, still rolling his eyes. He feels eyes on him.

“Oh fuck off.”

“I would, but then who would save your love life?”

“Chris –“ she waves her hand in faux drama.

“Chris is a passive homophobe; they say they don’t care but then –“ her hand rakes through blonde hair, pulling haphazardly at knotted ends “-they go and distance themselves from you. I get it, Chris is your brother and yes, he treats you really well,” she stares him down from the other end of the table, “but he doesn’t want you to have a boyfriend, he wants you to have a girlfriend.” Her tone is vicious and sharp but she eyes Adam with love only a best friend can give. He gives a smile, one that’s discontent but he knows. He sips his coffee, and looks at her. She looks right back at him, smiling softly. And then, she’s smiling wider, eyes bigger.

“Oh! That’s what you need, a good fucking!” the last word is a lot more hushed, but the previous volume of her voice has drawn eyes. Adam burns; hot, hot, hot.

“Jenika,” he hisses. She smirks. His stomach sinks, and he doesn’t want to look because he’s scared shitless by what may be behind him.

“I have to admit, he is a pretty one,” she says, bringing her cup to her lips, gesturing with her pinky.

“Oh you suck,” he hisses. She rolls her eyes.

“Darling,” a faux British accent hums, “we’ve been over this – “ she cuts herself off, eyes drifting to the brunette who had moved to the table where Adam’s loverboy sat.

“Awe, shucks,” she huffs, mouth pulling into a straight light. She pulls a face, “Straight people make my life more difficult than it needs to be.”

“Jenika, you can’t say that, think of the heterophobia,” Adam keeps his face straight, neutral. Jenika snorts, before having to curl in unbridled laughter, shoulders shaking. Adam smiles at her, ignoring the attention drawn to them.

She’s grinning, ear to ear in a way that makes her look earth-shatteringly happy and god Adam loves this woman. His eyes flick to the side, looking at the brunette that Jenika had her eye on. The brunette eyes Jenika. Adam smiles. “Why don’t you ask her out?” Adam says. Jenika raises a brow, eyes staring at him as if he’s just missed the most obvious joke.

“You have a long way to go little one, but it is okay, I will guide you,” she says, in some sort of faux philosophical voice and Adam laughs.

“What are we doing?” she’s laughing as speaks, eyes crinkling around the edges. She sips at her drink. Adam smiles. He gives a half hearted shrug.

“I don't know but I don’t really care,” his nose crinkles, much like it would when there's an almost painful glare of the sun in his eyes. She smiles as she looks to the table where their eye candy of the hour sit.

“Loverboy is looking,” she says, almost sing song like.

“Your not much better,” he teases easily. She frowns, rolling her eyes.  Adam finishes his drink.

“C’mon, got places to be,” he says. Jenika pulls a face, similar to when you eat something overbearingly sour, and finishes her drink.

“I hate my job,” she whines. Adam laughs.

“We work in a florist Jen.”

“Still, ain’t much room for a lesbian and a gay guy in florist work when people think your a couple.” Adam raises a brow.

“Did you really need to say all of that?”

“Yes, I’m frustrated and its annoying.” They walk down the sidewalk.

“What do you want us to then Jen? Put signs in the window saying that we like the same gender?” Adam goes to roll his eyes but stops. They widen mockingly. He faces Jenika. “We could blast the Village People! Everyone will know we’re gay in a 50 mile radius!” he laughs, while Jen frowns.

“Your humours shit,” she comments.

“I know,” he smiles. She smiles back.

“C’mon then, let’s get to work.”
--
Eek! I'm going to attempt to actually write a book now! I have a few chapters prepared but I'm really excited with this idea in mind! I don't know everything and have likely made a few errors concerning this story, please let me know! Chapter lengths will vary so don't expect consistently long chapters.

Side note: the way the band forms in this story is different to how they actually do so.