6|More Than Words

He calls Jenika the same night. “I was told,” he teases, “that a certain brunette likes you.” He can already hear her frown.

“Who?” Adam resists the temptation to roll his eyes.

“The brunette from the coffee shop, Olena,” he says, smiling.

“Olena,” she says the name as if she’s tasting it. “What if she doesn’t like me back?”

“Then she doesn’t,” Adam shrugs even though he’s very aware that she can’t see him, “but I believe that I was told the truth.”

He can practically hear the furrowing of her brow. “But –“

“You never know,” he sing songs.

“Enough about me,” she says back, “you and loverboy in a band, huh?” Adam regrets opening his mouth as of two minutes ago.

“Please don’t remind me,” he groans. “Anyway, it’s just a silly little crush. It’ll dissolve in a few weeks anyway.” Jen pulls a face.

“You know what they say about crushes Adam.”

“No, I really don’t,” he says, half serious half sarcastic.

“Crushes are base infatuations,” she says, “love is the nurturing of that infatuation. Think of what might happen Adam.” Adam frowns

“Unrequited love isn’t the first thing to happen and it’s most certainly never killed anyone.”

“Broken hearts ruin you Adam. And anyway, you'd have to work with him, almost constantly. Think of yourself Adam. Please.”

“Night Jen,” he says forlornly.

“Night blondie,” she teases sadly, in a vague hope to lighten the suddenly dark mood. He ends the call.

He flops down onto his bed, staring blankly at the dark ceiling. He doesn't know for how long he's stuck inside his own mind but when it’s clear again, it’s apparent in the sluggishness of his body that he fell asleep.

The sun gleams through the window and Adam has never hated anything more. He doesn’t know whether to move or not. Out of moral obligation, and the fact that he gets paid, he drags himself out of bed and showers. He dresses himself and once again readies himself for work.

The shop is never busy. That’s a fact. What’s also a fact is that it’s owned by a calm bisexual man, and it’s only two workers are a functional lesbian and a gay man who really needs to find more brain cells. Although, in retrospect, Adam would have to share those with Jen. He wouldn’t mind. Anyway, the original point; the shop was never busy. Not even on Valentines.

So it didn’t really surprise Adam when he saw Chance sitting down, head pillowed on his elbows. It made Adam a little anxious.

“Chance?” he says softly.

“Hm?” a bleary-eyed Chance looks at him.

“You okay?” Chance stretches, smiling.

“Tired 's'all,” he says. Adam nods.

“Any customers?” Chance shakes his head.

“Not whilst I was awake at least,” Adam snorts.

“Of course.”

“Hey you love me and my weird sleeping habits,” Chance retorts childishly.

“When have I ever said that,” Adam says, brow raised.

“Are you raising your brow? Seriously, couldn’t tell blondie,” Chance smirks. Adam makes a dramatically offended face.

“You don't even wanna go there,” he grins.

“Anyway,” Chance changes the topic again, “you wouldn’t have to tell me you loved my weird sleeping habits. The song is called more than words for a reason.” He's stood up now, face to face with Adam. Adam smirks lightly.

“Oh really?” they're almost chest to chest.

“Yes really,” Chance taunts. He grabs Adam by the wrist gently, bringing it above his head and spinning him. Adam laughs as he does. Chance keeps spinning him slowly.

“More than words to show that the love you feel for me is real,” he sings, eyes lit up jokingly. Adam laughs harder. He hits him in the chest. The door bell goes.

It's Austin. They pull apart embarrassed.

“I can come back later if I’m interrupting something?” He gestures behind him to the door, brow raised in question.

“No your fine,” Chance is quick to the draw whilst Adam stares at anything that isn’t Austin. He grabs an apron and begins to fix an assortment of flowers that was ordered the other day, due for collection the following day. “How may we help you?” Chance says.

“Marigolds,” Austin says, smiling with that infuriatingly attractive southern lilt. “I would like marigolds please, twelve if you can.” Adam still isn't looking at him.

“Sure right away - ” Adam already knows what’s gonna happen, “ – Adam? Could you get me twelve marigolds from the back please?”

He finds his voice, “Sure.” He quick to the back, carefully gathering the delicate flowers in shaking hands. He's almost back with others when he hears, “So are you guys a couple or something?” and no it’s not hostile but it makes Adam shake a little more and he drops the flowers. He yelps.

“Adam?” Chance calls out, concerned with his friend.

“I’m fine,” its weak and stupid but it’ll stop Chance from worrying. He gathers the flowers quickly and moves into the front of the shop, nit looking at anyone.

He wraps the flowers carefully but quickly, eyes burning holes into his side.

“To answer your question,” and oh no now Chance sounds stiff, “we aren’t together. We’re just really good friends.”

He hands the flowers to Austin who accepts them. “Thank you.”

“No worries,” Chance answers smiling a little. Austin might look at Adam before he leaves but he doesn’t know because he doesn’t look up until for certain he knows that he’s gone.

Chance looks at him slightly worried. He tries to smile. “I’m okay.”

The day is empty after that. He and Chance laugh and chat but Adam is still preoccupied with Austin. He wants to hate him. But he really, really likes him.

He’ll get over it, right?

---
My update pattern may be a little weird but I'll try to update as regularly as possible!
Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed this chapter!