9|Chick-Fil-A Is Not Better

Adam was grateful. The water had helped immensely and for that, Adam said thank you no less than twenty times to Austin the morning after. Austin didn’t seemed too fazed by the fact that he’d seen Adam throw up. Adam burns crimson the entire time. He’s thankful when he, Chance and Jenika leave although, he will miss his friends.

The next week is over before it’s begun. Adam is worried. Worried because of practice and making an idiot of himself in front of Austin. He made a promise though. And it’s not as if embarrassment ever killed anyone.

By the time the next practice actually does roll around, Adam can only pray that he won’t fuck it up.

He assumes he’s the first to arrive because the car isn’t there yet. He’s right. When Chris let’s him in he goes to the back room to find it empty. Chris follows him in, sitting on the arm of the couch whilst Adam sits in his favourite chair. Chris looks at him for a moment before speaking.

“I’m sorry,” he says softly. Adam's brow knits together, confused.

“Why?”

“I made Kevin kiss you,” Chris bites his lower lip, “you looked uncomfortable.”

Adam's brow relaxes, “oh, that. I was fine,” he says certainly, “was less fine when I started puking in front of Austin but that’s to be expected.” Chris snorts, smiling with relief.

“Lightweight,” Chris says, smiling. Adam hums as he looks at his brother.

“What song are we practising this week, again?”

“Ring of fire, blondie,” Adam groans.

“I hate you and I hate Chance,” he laughs.

Chris’ eyes go wide in faux offense, “oh no, what will we ever do?”

“Fuck off,” he says, elongating the last syllable. Chris rolls his eyes but gets up and moved to gather some sheets. He hands Adam his sheet. There’s a knock. Adam’s stomach knots. Chris leaves and returns with the three faces Adam still has yet to become fully acquainted with.

He focuses on the paper in his hands. There’s murmuring,  the others talking quietly among themselves.

“So should we begin?” Chris says, grinning that wide grin again. “I can’t wait to hear how it sounds.” He sounds like an energetic child. Adam smiles.

“So,” Chris begins, “Tim has lead vocals, Austin, Rob and me, on the harmonies,” he frowns and his brow furrows lightly. He grabs a pen and hastily scribbles something out whilst muttering god knows what under his breath. “Sorry, just made the wrong note. Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, Austin, Rob and I on the harmonies and Adam on the beatboxing,” he raises a brow, as if to double check whether the sentence was right or not. Everyone nods.

That’s how they spend the next few hours; Tim mostly on lead vocals, accompanied by Austin, Rob and Chris, with Adam providing the beat and rhythm. It was surprisingly fun. Every time they messed up or one of them made an easy mistake, it sent them into fits of laughter. And after all, they do say that laughter is the best medicine. With each laugh and crinkling smile, Adam felt the knots in his stomach untangle and erratic rhythm of his heart settle. He was comfortable. They’ve probably gone through it for the twenty-sixth or seventh time, but all Adam really remembers is the rumble of Chris' stomach.

His eyes dart up quickly, giggling at the blush on his brothers face. “Uh, anyone else hungry?” Chris asks. Tim hums from his place on the couch, head leaned back onto the pillow. Austin nods.

“Yeah, I could really do with something to eat right about now,” he smiles and Adam’s heart melts a little.

“Same here,” Adam murmurs. Out of the corner of his eye, Adam vaguely notes Rob and Tim nodding. Chris looks at all of them individually before nodding and clapping his hands together.

“So, Chinese take out or Chick-fil-A?” Chris asks, shuffling papers around in an attempt to tidy.

“Chick-fil-A all the way,” Tim calls out, grinning. Adam looks offended.

“Chinese take out is better,” Adam says, smiling when Tim turns to look at him.

“You don’t want t’ have this argument,” he says, almost like a threat, but the easy grin on his face betrays it. Chris snorts.

“I hate to do this to you, brother – “

“God, no, traitor!” Adam says dramatically, grinning widely.

“ – Tim has a point,” Chris finishes, affectionately rolling his eyes.

“I’m gonna have to side with Adam on this one,” Rob says, smiling at the children he’s surrounded by. “Chinese is the better option.”

“Thank you,” Adam says, turning to Austin. His heart stutters. His breath does too. “What about you?”

Austin sucks in his lower lip, forehead and nose wrinkling as if in deep thought. Cute. “Chinese, simply because I don’t like Chick-fil-A.” He looks back up at Adam and smiles. Adam holds his gaze for a second before moving it to Chris.

“Seems like I have majority vote,” Adam muses, smiling happily. Chris rolls his eyes again, but nonetheless picks up the phone to call the local Chinese.

When it arrives, they practically devour it. Adam hardly stops to breath. Adam feels calm. Strangely it scares him. He ignores. They chat mindlessly about this and that (this person is attractive and that person is and Adam doesn’t know who anyone is. He huffs laugh, looking between his – friends? Is that the right word? Acquaintances doesn’t do them justice but friends is more, personal. 

He looks between his friends, Austin looking agitated as he engages in conversation with Chris, expression oddly endearing. He looks at Tim and Rob, the much more relaxed conversational duo and the easy comfort they share. He looks back down at his food before eating some more, the others somewhat mindlessly shovelling food into their mouths between sentences.

“Adam, you okay? You’re a little quiet,” Chris observes pulling Adam out of a daze. Adam swallows the food he’s eating, tongue darting out to lick his lips for a moment.

Adam smiles, not showing his teeth. “I’m great, jus’ really hungry.” He eats more as if to emphasis his point and Chris accepts his answer.

This could be better than Adam expected.

---
Thanks for reading! Please vote or comment if you enjoyed!