10|Comfort Of One

That was how they worked. They chose songs (some Tim had wrote and Adam fell in love a little because wow, the range of a god and the words of a wise man) and they practised till perfection, and then, they played live. They planned their big debut tour and Adam was anxious but enthusiastic. They all were. And they owned it. People loved it, loved their interactions whilst on stage, and loved them.It made Adam a little giddy.

But, it would seem, that his heart was set on drowning without letting him die. Austin's smile seemed to grow sweeter, laughter more loveable and eyes more captivating. It made Adam frustrated and lovesick. He could only really explain it as being a rock, carelessly tossed into the ocean, sinking, sinking, sin -

"Adam? You there buddy?" Chance clicks his fingers in Adam's face, brow raised in concern. The blond looks dazedly up at the other man, brow knitted together as he tries to remember anything else other than Austin.

"Uh, yeah," he massages the bridge of his nose, blinking his eyes slowly. "I'm good Chance."

Chance raises an unconvinced brow. "Sure you are," Adam frowns at the sarcasm. "Listen, if you were okay, you wouldn't be looking like someone just killed your dog."

Adam's deepens. "I'm fine," he protests.

"Aha! We're already down from good to fine," Chance says.

Adam groans and brings both of his hands to tug hopelessly at blond strands, head cradled between his forearms, elbows planted on the table. "I don't know what to do, Chance," his voice is weak, and he's all but given up. "I really like him, I actually think I'm starting to love him."

Chance makes an empathetic noise and grabs a chair, sitting next to him. He pats his back. "I'm sorry buddy, I know it sucks," Chance frowns before licking his lips. "I don't have the right words to say it, but I know it must be hurting you really badly. You've always got me, Jenika," he smiles, somewhat forlornly, "we'll always listen. I promise."

Adam nods. "Thank you." He leans in toward Chance, who moves his arm to wrap around the blond. "Thank you so much."

"Don't worry about it," Chance says. "What do you say, we go out tonight?" Adam snorts and Chance quickly changes his answer. "Or, we could stay in and watch sad chick flicks."

Adam laughs a little. "Are you being serious?"

Chance smiles. "A hundred percent," he nudges Adam. "C'mon, we'll invite Jenika and we can eat ice cream and cry to sad chick flicks." Adam nods slowly smiling.

"Sure, why not," he smiles.

"Yes! I'm gonna go call Jen then," he's up and he practically disappears but Adam can still hear his voice in the other room. He smiles to himself. He 's so very grateful for Chance and Jen he really is.

That's how, an hour later he ends up on the couch with Jenika and Chance, tongue burnt with the cold. My girl, plays on the tv, and Adam will never admit to the tears in his eyes. They're in a comfortable silence. There is no need for words - mostly because they're all eating ice cream. And then Adam's phone rings. He sighs, but eventually gets up and moves to Jen's hallway to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Adam, thank god," it's Chris' worried voice down the line.

"Chris, what's wrong?" Adam's heart jumps up into his throat. He hears Chris sigh on the other end.

"Nothing, I just - you've been acting weird lately."

"Chris, what are you talking about?"

"I know you Adam. Something is wrong," he can hear the frown, "or at the very least, something isn't a hundred percent right. I wanted to stop by but you, y'know, aren't here."

"Thank you," Adam feels more like crying now because how could he ever forget how much Chris loves him? "It, it uh, means a lot."

"Yeah well," Chris clears his throat. "Your my only baby brother, gotta look after you. Anyway, try to get over whatever it is. I'll see you in practise on Thursday."

Adam's heart clenches. "Yeah, thanks Chris. I'll see you Thursday. Love you."

"Love you too, Adam," his brother says and Adam really missed feeling close to his family. He hangs up and smiles because something feels a little better.

---
Sorry for the chapter being slightly shorter but I'm happy with what the chapter does :)
My next chapter should be longer :)
Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment if you enjoyed!