Chapter 7 - Seething With Flames

Fighting without Kazuki was disastrous. Without his presence, Blaise's form floundered. It was a miracle he had even performed well at the Hajimari Tournament. With only half a year's education of fencing, Blaise was practically fighting off of his senses. When his parents had taken Blaise out of fencing due to how it was slightly inconvenient for them, Blaise had only scored in the lower middle of the pool.

Despite not having Seo, the two remaining Sentrale brothers fought with just as much power. The combined power of Caesar and Roy were not enough to take down Ryo, and as he watched, one of Ryo's well-aimed strikes went under Roy's offensive stance, knocking him into the wall, leaving Caesar alone to fight Ryo.

Meanwhile, CJ was putting up just as much of a zealous fight. Despite being attacked by both Crow and Skyler, CJ's electricity magic was obviously getting the best of them both. Whenever the two of them tried to approach CJ, he would send tendrils of lighting flying at them, forcing Crow and Skyler to retreat and for Skyler to put up an ice shield.

Aiko had completely stopped fighting and was reading a book while simultaneously watching Kagami, who had already disarmed the zany gunslinger (who ended up with a yell leaping out of the dorm window). The only challenge left for Kagami was the pie slinger, who was successfully blinding Kagami with pies to the face. It seemed like there were a variety of pies, as Kagami was struggling to gain sight with apple, cherry, and apricot pie on her face.

If Roy couldn't defeat Ryo, Blaise reasoned that he, being the useless thing he was, had no chance. Kagami would be fine, the pie slinger would run out of pies at some point. So without any dilemma as to who to support, Blaise charged forward at CJ, only to be stopped by a roaring pillar of fire. With a bit of difficulty, he dodged the fire, heading in a beeline at CJ.

"What are you doing!" Skyler shouted uncharacteristically as Blaise aggressively and foolhardily threw himself at CJ.

It was only for a moment, but he saw CJ glance up in surprise. Then the next moment, Blaise fell to the ground, spasming with pain. His trailing edge sword fell out of his hands as he convulsed on the ground from the electricity frying his muscles.

Then it stopped, and when he was dragged up by Skyler, Blaise saw that CJ was holding his head with one hand, obviously in pain from Crow's power, who stood a foot away. The next moment, CJ recovered, getting back in posture and looking like nothing happened.

But Blaise had a feeling it wasn't that simple. CJ, despite seeming chipper, could not possibly recover so quickly from Crow's fear attack. This was an opportunity that Blaise had to take.

"Are you kidding me?" Skyler shouted, almost hysterically, as Blaise once again launched himself foolishly at CJ. It was a miracle that for once Blaise's judgment was true. Before CJ was able to retaliate, Blaise had gashed a large wound down CJ's torso. If not for tripping at the last second, Blaise knew he could have scored a larger hit.

With a shriek, CJ crumbled into a ball, no longer a problem

"I mean, good call, but that could have ended disastrously," Skyler said, shaking his head. Crow, after seeing that CJ was well and disabled, bounded off to help Kagami, who was more or less covered in pie filling.

Blaise hadn't noticed before, but with the fire spreading around the dorm room had scared off most of the partygoers. Perhaps they weren't as high and drunk Blaise had thought. There were only a few people left in the room, with Ryo being the only one of a major threat. It was now or never, Blaise decided that he should ask Skyler about the information he had obtained from Seo.

"Hey, Sky," Blaise asked, looking around, partly because he wasn't into eye contact, partly to look out to make sure nobody was going to sneak up on them, "You got to know Kazuki pretty quickly, right?"