𝐕𝐈𝐈. THE RESORTING CEREMONY

CHAPTER SEVENTHE RESORTING CEREMONY

CHAPTER SEVEN
THE RESORTING CEREMONY

§ § § 

     I looked at Harry, and he looked at me. We smiled excitedly, then I turned back to Draco, who was reading the note. Professor Snape had gotten me a broom, and I was starting Quidditch practice tonight. I was so excited.

     "A Nimbus Two Thousand!" Draco moaned enviously. "And Potter's got one too? I've never even touched one." He had some kind of look in his eye that indicated that he was up to something, or that he knew something. I left the Great Hall quickly, and met up with Harry and Ron in the hallway.

     "Oh Harry I took a look, they're gorgeous!" I squealed, lifting up the brown paper off the handle to let Ron and Harry peek. Before I could reply Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle stopped in front of us. Draco took Harry's package and felt it.

     "That's a broomstick," he said, throwing it back at him, his face a mixture of jealousy and spite. I folded my arms across my chest and raised my eyebrows.

     "Finally answered a question correctly, Malfoy? Snape must be proud." I said.

     "You'll be in for it this time Potters. First years aren't allowed them." Malfoy sneered.

     Ron couldn't resist it.

     "It's not any old broomstick," he said, "it's a Nimbus Two Thousand. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy, a Comet Two Sixty?" Ron grinned at Harry and I.

     "What would you know about it, Weasley, you couldn't afford half the handle," Malfoy snapped back. I saw grew red, and I guess Draco forgot I lived with the Weasley's; they were my family.

     "Shut it Malfoy! You and your family buy your way into everything, at least the Weasley's do things out of the kindness of their hearts! So shut your mouth, and if you don't I swear to Merlin it'll be the last thing you ever do!" I yelled at him, drawing my wand at the speed of lightning and jutting it under Draco's chin. Unfortunately, I was forced to lower it when Professor Flitwick rounded the corner and saw us.

     "Not arguing, I hope, boys? And girl," he squeaked.

     "Potters have been sent broomsticks, Professor," said Malfoy quickly. Harry glared, and Ron grabbed my hand, holding me back.

     "Yes, yes that's right," said Professor Flitwick, beaming at me. "Professors McGonagall and Snape told me all about the special circumstances, Potters. And what models are they?"

     "Nimbus Two-" Harry started.

     "Thousands, sir." I finished right away. It was becoming a habit to finish each other's sentences, and it was creeping everyone out, by the look on Flitwick, Ron, Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle's faces.

     "And it's really thanks to Malfoy-" I started.

     "Here that we've got them." Harry finished, smiling at the look of horror on Draco's face. Ron and Harry headed upstairs to open Harry's broom, while I headed downstairs with Draco to open mine.

     "Well it's true," I laughed, "If you hadn't stolen Neville's Remembrall I wouldn't be on Slytherin's team..." I trailed off.

     "So I suppose you think that's a reward for breaking rules?" Came an angry voice from just behind us. I turned to see Hermione was stomping up the stairs, following Harry and Ron, and looking disapprovingly at the package in my hands. She had stopped talking to us in anger after what happened with the three headed dog.

     "I thought you weren't speaking to us?" I voice.

     "Yes, please, don't stop now. It's doing us so much good." said Ron.

     Hermione marched away with her nose in the air.

     During all of today's lessons I could barely concentrate, knowing that a Nimbus Two Thousand sat on my dorm bed. Also, none of my classes today have been with the Gryffindors, so I couldn't talk to Harry about it. Draco and I left our last class, which happened to be Herbology. I was still kind of upset with Draco, but I found out that I couldn't stay mad at him for long. Him, Crabbe, Goyle, Pansy, and I were on our way to the Slytherin common room when Professor McGonagall stopped us in the hallway.

     "Miss. Potter, I need you and Mr. Malfoy to come with me." She said. Draco and I looked at each other and then I looked back at Professor McGonagall. She nice enough, and Harry liked her, so I decided I would trust her. I nodded to Malfoy who "dismissed" Crabbe and Goyle, and I told Pansy to go with them.

     Draco and I silently followed Professor McGonagall, sharing worried looks. We arrived to an eagle shaped structure and said, "Lemon drop." The eagle turned to reveal a staircase. I looked at Draco with wide eyes, and he had a look of confusion on his face. The three us us walked up the spiral staircase into a huge and elegant office. Professor Dumbledore sat at the desk, and Harry, Ron, and Hermione stood to the side. Harry grinned when he saw me. Hermione looked nervous, and Ron was just confused.

     "Thank you, Minerva." Professor Dumbledore told Professor McGonagall. "I gathered you all here because I had a thought, well, more of a theory. I need to resort you all." He told us, standing from the desk chair and taking the Sorting Hat off of a shelf. "Who would like to go first?" He asked, and Draco bravely stepped forward. Dumbledore placed the hat on his head, and it yelled "SLYTHERIN!"

     "I don't know why you would think it would say anything else." Draco exclaimed as he walked back next to me, smirking. Hermione went next, then Ron, and they both got Gryffindor. For some reason I was getting nervous. Harry walked up to the hat, looking at me. Dumbledore placed the hat on his head, and it stayed quiet for a little.

     "GRYFFINDOR!" It yelled. Harry sighed and grinned in relief, as I stepped forward. I looked at the ground because I couldn't quite meet anyone's eyes. The hat stayed silent longer than it had for Harry. This time, I couldn't hear its thoughts.

     "GRYFFINDOR!" It yelled. I looked up, my eyes wide and my jaw had dropped. I looked at Draco, who kind of looked horrified, Ron, who was grinning wildly, Harry, who looked confused, and Hermione who just had no expression. I pulled the hat off and placed it back on. "GRYFFINDOR!" On, off, on, off. Everytime it yelled Gryffindor. Dumbledore took the hat from me. Tears were in my eyes. Why now? Why not back when I wanted Gryffindor?
"Professor, what changed? Why is it saying Gryffindor now?" I asked with a shaking voice. Dumbledore smiled.

     "I believe, Giovanna, that you've me someone that changed you. That's made you more of a Gryffindor than before." He said, looking at Harry. I turned to Harry who was smiling a small smile. "So, what would you like to do?"

     I looked between the happy Harry and Ron, my friend Hermione, and then at Draco, who was looking genuinely upset. I made my decision. "I think I'll stay in Slytherin, Professor Dumbledore."