𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈. THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREETHE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE

THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE

§ § §

     Harry and I walk quietly down a staircase, him in the lead. I took a deep breath, trying not to panic at what we would find at the bottom. We enter a large room and I notice a large mirror. Recognition flashes across Harry's face as he looks at the object, but I didn't know what it was. I glanced at it again and my reflection showed be surrounded by Harry, Ron, Hermione, Draco, Noah, the whole Weasley family, and my own parents. Everyone I love. That's when I noticed a man standing in front of the mirror wearing a familiar turban.

     He turns, and Harry and I gasp. It most certainly wasn't Snape, it was Quirrell! "I should've known it was you! I've suspected you this whole year, but never of this! Merlin, I'm such an idiot!" I cried, then grabbed my arm and hissed in pain. Harry grimaced and touched his head. 

     "And all this time we thought it was Snape." Harry scowled.

     "Yes. He does seem the type, doesn't he? Next to me, who would suspect p-p-poor st-stuttering Professor Qu-Quirrell?" He sneered.

     "You don't even have that damned stutter! I swear to Merlin I'll personally rip that ugly purple turban right off-" I start forward but Harry held me back. 

     "Shut up, Giovanna." He mumbled, and I calmed down. "That day, during the quidditch match, Snape was trying to kill me!" Harry exclaimed to Quirrell, still not believing it.

     "No, my dear boy. I tried to kill you! And if  Snape's cloak hadn't caught on fire, and if Giovanna hadn't warned him about it, I would've succeeded." Quirrell sneered.

     "But why not me? Why didn't you try to kill me?" I asked.

     "I had orders not to." He says. I was confused, but then he began to talk again. "I would've succeeded even with Snape muttering that counter-curse."

     "Wait... Snape was trying to... save me?" Harry asked slowly. 

     "Yes. I knew you both were a threat right away. Especially after Halloween." The "professor" continues ranting.

     "You let the troll in." I scowled. I reached inside my pocket and gripped my wand. 

     Quirrell smirked. "Very good, Potter. Snape, unfortunately, wasn't fooled. While everyone else was running to the dungeons, he went to the third floor to catch me. He, of course, never trusted me again. He rarely left me alone."

     "Rightfully so!" I exclaimed, still scowling.

     Quirrell turns back to the mirror, and my scar starts to ache. For once I don't grab at it, I just slightly flinched at the pain. "But Snape doesn't understand. I'm never alone. Never." I pulled my wand out of my pocket. Harry did the same, and we stood closer together. "Now... what does this mirror do? I see what I desire. I see myself holding the stone. But how do I get it?" I look in the mirror again. This time I see me and Draco. We aren't doing anything, we're just together. Is that actually what I desire? It switches and I see Harry and I. We're being awarded, applauded, we've just beaten Voldemort once and for all. I can't wait until that day.