Chapter 33- Kicking His Ass

Elis

At the sound of the male voice, my heart started to beat faster fully expecting one person, but when my gaze came across the face to which the voice belonged, my face faded.

"You don't look too pleased to see me." his voice stated.

I didn't know what to say, because I was still processing the fact that it wasn't John.

"Sorry Max, " I mumbled, pointing my hand inside our house to invite him in.

As soon as I closed the door, I tried to put on the best smile I could.

"How are you?" I smiled at Max who I didn't see in ages.

"Elis, what's wrong?" he asked, totally ignoring my question.

"What? I don't know what are you talking about." I averted my gaze from his stern look.

"You're a bad liar." he frowned.

"I---I just..." I didn't know what to say.

My mind was still focused on John, in the real world it meant I was constantly spaced out.

"What happened? I mean I know what Melissa did to you, but you're fine now, aren't you?" he asked confused, taking a step closer to me.

"More or less..." I mumbled again, my thoughts were back on John and before I knew it, I was crying again.

Max gently hugged me, whispering some reassuring words to make me feel better.

After the time his shirt was totally wet from my tears and I calmed down, he slowly pulled away from me.

"Do you feel like talking?" he asked worriedly and I nodded.

We sat on the couch and I took a deep breath.

"I just don't know what to do..." I sobbed. "I'm losing him, Max." I looked up into his eyes.

"What are you talking about? He is madly in love with you..." he said calmly, rubbing my arm to comfort me.

"He thinks it's his fault what happened to me and he doesn't listen when I say it's not." I continued in a quiet voice. "He thinks that only way to protect me is to leave me, but he can't see that it hurt millions of times worse than being thrown down from the stairs." my tears started to slowly come back as I helplessly hang my head down.

Max didn't say anything, he was just pondering over something.

I couldn't stand the silence and so I asked.

"Do you know something I don't?" I asked curiously, a small piece of hope blossomed up in me.

"Maybe, but I'm not sure it's okay to say it when it's not sure for 100%," he said it casually with a shrug of his masculine shoulders.

"Tell me now," I said emotionlessly, giving him no other chance.

"Don't give me this look!" he hid his eyes with his hands. I remained persistent and shoved off his hands so he'd look at me.

"Okay okay!" he widened his eyes scared. On my mouth raised a small smirk.

"Now you are smiling huh?" he said annoyed.

"Talk." I crossed my arms.

"Okay okay, just calm down...." he widened his eyes again. "So, the thing is, that I've heard some rumors about Melissa being expelled," he said with gaze fixated on me.

I just looked at him frozen.

I don't know what I felt.

Happiness, shock, relief...