2

Minerva McGonagall was proud to say she was the most qualified witch for everything, thank you very much.

Why was Albus Dumbledore leaving a poor girl with the most careless man she knew?

"Albus, I don't think this is a good idea"

"It's what's best for her. Voldemort won't attack muggles and if he did he wouldn't expect his own orphanage have a magical child. Not after him. But this little girl, she's been left without parents after that werewolf attack. We were lucky we found her in time"

"But they're not fit to keep this girl. Look at the other children. They have no idea of sensitivity and she has so much of it now that she's a werewolf herself. I really think you should reconsider-"

"I have made my decision, thank you very much"

Minerva gasped at the rude tone Albus was displaying. How dare he act in such a manner!

"Albus, I'm sure someone else... The Weasley's? Remus Lupin?"

"You know Remus is in bad condition, Minerva"

"But if she is one herself, now"

"It's too risky"

"What of yourself? You should know some sort of way to raise her" thought McGonagall.

"I couldn't. I have Headmaster duties and so much things to do. Keeping a school's walls stable with a child with me would be impossible"

"Severus? He was to be a child's godfather. He could qualify. Even though he's strict he's got enough knowledge to know what's right for her"

"No, we shouldn't. He's not stable after James and Lily's death. A child would do no good with a man full of grief"

"What about me, then? I can raise her perfectly well. I'll care for her as they would"

"But-"

"But what of it, Albus? Is there something wrong with me?"

"No, it's not that. Tom could find out sooner or later and he'll be after you"

"I could careless about that right now. The girl needs someone who cares and that person shall be me"

He didn't object. He didn't comment. He was stunned that he had no response to give her. He knew how she worked. She was quite able to get what she wants, like any Slytherin. But her bravery was what brought her to Gryffindor. She wasn't even scared of a murderer.

"Where is she anyways?"

"I've called earlier and she should be coming with the manager any moment now"

Just then, they heard something in the front of the building. A woman was walking with a bundle of blankets in her arms.

When she approached them, Minerva looked in awe at the baby girl. The baby, so innocent and clueless, was staring back at them half asleep. A nasty scratch was made across her face, touching her right eye, her lips, and going down just a bit below her neck. It was left from the currently most feared wizard's werewolf follower.

"I've brought the girl," said the kind woman.

"She's so small" said Minerva, being handing the baby into her arms.

She looked into her brown eyes and gently touched her cheek. She was in need of a proper guardian. She needed her.

"I'm taking her from here on out. She's to be a girl. Not someone who is feared because of what she appears to be. Voldemort can wait, for all I care. I shall be the one to raise her right"

"I thought she was going with the man with the black hair?"

"She was supposed to, but she decided to take her instead"

"Well if you need any help, don't hesitate to call," offered the lady.

"Thank you, ma'am. That's very kind"

She walked back into the shadows and held onto the a small object without having to look. The portkey she placed earlier transported her and the girl to her own home. Hogwarts.

Even though she could perfectly well afford her own home, a manor even, she liked the joy Hogwarts brought her.

She went to her own sleeping quarters connected to her office. She casted a charm on the chair she wouldn't need any longer. The object transfigured into a perfect little crib for the baby. She placed the girl, Hermione, down in it and she smiled at her.

She grabbed a blanket, her old one from her childhood, and gave it to her. It had a single wolf on it, a black one, and knew she appreciated it already. She could do this. She could care for the girl.

"Goodnight my little pup," she said softly. She glanced to her old fashioned clock, and read 11:49.

"And happy birthday"

She rose her hand, no wand needed, and whispered "Nox"

The lights turned off as she went to bed, and she shut her eyes and fell asleep almost as fast as Hermione had that night.