16

A/N: I know I should've wrote the scene that they talked to McGonagall but like no inspiration for that right now maybe I'll add it later and change the chapter number idk but here's an update after all this time hopefully y'all enjoy

Attention, students. It has recently come to my attention that your Defense Against The Dark Arts professor has been a fraud and posed a threat to the school's safety. The class will be continued under the instruction of [insert underrated professor or ghost from books] for the rest of the term. That is all. Enjoy the feast"

Everyone— or most everyone *cough* Harry, Draco, Snape, Minerva (who heard from Dumbledore, who found out bc Harry told Draco to get help and help he did), Hermione (who heard from Harry 'cause he can't just not tell his best friend about that whole ordeal), and Pansy (who heard from Draco bc come on, she's his bestie, his go-to person to share all the things he feels the need to rant about) *cough* was very confused and shook.

Also, a lot of students between fourth year and seventh year were used to this stuff happening, with the D.A.D.A. Professor being either a danger, a prick, or whatever that lasts in their job position for a year maximum.

Third years were still getting used to it, and most of them were just disappointed and groaned to hear the news. Why did one of the most exciting classes have to be like this?

Most second years did not think this was a regular thing, and were shocked to hear another case of the one-time professor deal.

Dumbledore did some magic thing to make the food appear before everyone, their shiny empty plates that've been set up earlier finally having a purpose.

"What in the bloody hell was that all about?"

Ron groaned after his question, his left hand clutching over his nose. It was checked by the school matron just this morning, and he was too embarrassed and kinda guilty to explain how he got it. Now he's got a bandaid on his blackish-blue nose.

Harry didn't feel guilty about making the boy pay for his words, but he did feel bad about his method of payment. Maybe he could've just used a jinx, if he knew any. Perhaps making him levitate and proceed to fall on his bum would've done the trick?

"Dunno," Dean Thomas carefully finished chewing his food before proceeding to speak, this time directed toward someone else. "Hey, how come you're not eating anything? Sharp minds aren't made from hunger, ya know? 'ts what my mum always says"

Hermione flushed at being talked to. She really didn't want attention right now, nor much ever, really. This was her first time eating at the Great Hall around everyone, and she was too self-conscious to eat around her classmates.

The girl hid her head a bit by burying her face in her folded arms on the table. She did not know what to respond, or how to explain herself and her not-eating.

"Why? You want to eat her food? Worry about your own plate, would you?"

Harry was quick to find a way to defend Hermione and make her not have to feel so overwhelmed by being asked a question. It made the boy flush in embarrassment and quiet up, just silently continuing with his meal.

He softly nudged her with his hand, looking her way and whispering "you okay?"

She subtly nodded, anxiously and carefully reaching for a small portion of the available food so she won't be questioned anymore nor be thought of as weird for not eating.

She did not like this eating-in-public-around-strangers thing much one bit. She was very uncomfortable with the large crowd of people being there and the tons of noises. Not to mention the smell of all the various food, which it smelled great, but it overwhelmed her nose.

Agreeing to eat there with Harry might not have been a good idea.

Minerva McGonagall was very disappointed in how her little cub's first year was going so far. First that incident with a certain group of slytherins, then that Quirrell bit, and just last night a fellow first year Gryffindor made her upset enough to run off to Moaning Myrtle's bathroom and cry.

She'd have to keep a tab on all these kids, but there were starting to be a bit too many. Maybe she should focus on keeping tabs of the friendly ones? They'll likely know who's being a prick, and help defend her and keep her spirits up.

Of course there was Harry Potter himself, and now possibly the Draco Malfoy— son of pompous Lucius Malfoy—, as well as Pansy Parkinson?

Things might be better than she thought, considering she wasn't sure the girl would manage to be social enough to make a single friend. Thankfully she's got Harry, the sweet wholesome little boy.

She'd have to check with the boy about whether those two Slytherins are friends. She sort of hoped for it, since having more friends would be great— not to mention the house unity, and from the rival house.

She just hoped they were friends, or acquaintances at the least, and that they could withstand the tension of the rest of their house and their bias, as well as the tensions that quidditch matches brought.

Oh, now there's a thought. Was James' son possibly a quidditch prodigy? She'd have to ask Rolanda about that later.

A/N: I'm tired, it's 4am, and I don't know but I hope this was a decent chapter after all this time of not updating like it's been over a year oof sorry