8. Houston, We Have a Problem..

Before we left, I changed my clothes to some black leggings and a white tank top with new Vans. Darius seemed in a rush to get out onto the road, so he didn't give me much time.

3 minutes later, we had packed up all our stuff and got out. Darius led us to the front desk, where he told the attendant we were leaving.

To be honest, I wanted to get out pretty fast too. This place gave me the creeps, especially after what happened last night. Two pervs by a vending machine doesn't really give me any comfort.

Darius finally adjusts his bag on his shoulder and starts off towards the sliding doors at the front, waving goodbye to the friendly desk attendant. I follow suit, my eyes glancing over my shoulder a few times.. Something didn't seem right, it was just so quiet..

Suddenly my nose slams into Darius' rock-hard back and I bring my hand up to my face-- tears springing into my eyes.

"What the f--" I'm hushed when Darius places a warm hand over my mouth, his eyes dark.

Turn around and start walking. He mouthes to me, tugging a hoodie he had on his bag over his head.

I gulp the lump in my throat, instantly forgetting about my nose. I turn on my heels and shakily move my feet in the opposite direction. My heart pounds easily against my chest when I hear the faint sound of a cop car outside.

The snake. I suddenly thought. That's what this is about. But wouldn't that be animal control? Unless someone saw us...

Darius puts a hand on my back, guiding me quickly to the back of the motel. The sound of the door opening and the static sound of radios makes my heart go over full drive. I pick up my pace and once we get into the hallways we jog the rest of the way.

Once outside the back door, Darius veers around into an alleyway, and I'm covered in darkness.

"Fuck." Darius curses, raking a hand through his hair. I keep an eye on the motel, just incase the cops come around back.

"This is your fault," I growl. "So if anyone's to blame, it's you."

"It's my fault? What about your tantrum in the bathroom?" Darius spat back. "If it weren't for your stupid screaming, we could've held onto it and we wouldn't be in this mess."

I shoot him daggers, losing interest in keeping watch. "If it weren't for you, I wouldn't even be here!"

Darius stops pacing and stares at me, his eyebrows pulling together. "I'm sorry?" He growls.

"Yeah, I said it." I say, pissed off. "If you hadn't fucked with the government for whatever reason floats your boat, none of this would be happening! I could be living my life right now, but no.." I wiggle my finger at him. "You just had to drop those fucking papers and being the sincere person I was, I gave them back to you only to be kidnapped!"

Darius opens his mouth probably to say something horrible, but he stops when we both hear voices.

"--did they..... this way?" The sound of a muffled male voice wasn't too far away. Footsteps scuffed closer, and I whipped my head towards Darius, who was staring out of the alleyway.

"What do we--" I stop midway to hold in a scream as Darius picks me up and quickly dives on the other side of a dumpster. He locks a hand securely over my mouth and I shiver when my backs pressed into his chest.

His legs stretch out in front of me, barely short enough to not be seen over the dumpster. My breath hitches in my throat, and I don't dare wrench my eyes away from the shadows that dance on the wall. They were getting closer..