31

When Louis woke up it was to both an unfamiliar and familiar smell. Firstly, the smell of the hospital bleached his senses, but the comforting smell of Liam was also there, making him reluctant to remove his head from Liam's chest.

"I just need to top up his medicine." He heard a nurse state and cringed because he hated needles. The needle was already in, she just had to attach him to a new drip, but that didn't stop his stomach from flipping. "Hun, you're going to have to get off your dad so I can do this." The woman said softly.

Louis sat up as quickly as he could manage (which wasn't very quick at all), his face burning at the nurse's statement. "He's not my-" However Liam gave him a look to say 'shut up.'

"It's not very often that the dad stays, and I know this is being slightly sexist, it's usually the mum." The nurse said as she fiddled with the new drip. "That's it over sunshine, you can open your eyes now. Good thing too, I think you were about to break your dad's hand with how tight you were holding it." She chuckled while leaving and Louis looked down to see that he had subconsciously grasped Liam's hand tighter as she changed the drips.

"Why does she think you're my dad? I mean, you're obviously not old enough." Louis asked, lying back on Liam's chest.

"When I was signing you in, they weren't going to let me see you until they had called your parents. I told the head nurse about me being your legal guardian at the moment, and a brief summary as to why our parents weren't around. She was lovely about it, but she gave the other nurses a watered down version and just told them I'd adopted you." Liam said, looking down at his little brother.

In a way, Liam felt like he had failed. He failed to notice just how sick his brother was, and as a result, failed to get him the help he needed as soon as it started. However, Liam pushed these thoughts away, he needed to focus on getting Louis better and that would be hard if Liam was wallowing in guilt. He'd just need to keep an extra closer eye on the boy over the next few days.

And that he did. They were in the hospital for two days after the operation, Olivia staying full time at the house with the other boys and coming up during the day to visit with new clothes. Tom, Olivia's dad, also came to visit, and brought with him a get well soon teddy bear and a balloon. Liam also got a call from his Godfather, notifying Liam that he thought it'd be best for Liam to take his parents to court to fight for full custody of the boys. The eighteen year old shut it down and told the man he'd speak about it at a later date.

"Are you sure you've got everything bubba?" Liam asked as he grabbed Louis' iPad, earphones, teddy bears and magazines, placing them in a bag. Louis nodded, just sitting on the edge of the bed awkwardly while he watched his big brother run about, making sure they didn't leave anything at the hospital.

Louis had been given the clear to leave. His stitches seemed to be healing nicely and there was no sign of internal bleeding or scarring. He had been told to refrain from doing anything strenuous for the next couple of weeks and that he would need to continue taking medication until the prescription ran out.

"Right buddy, foot up." Liam said, patting his knee as he took a seat in the hospital chair across from his little brother. Louis placed his shoe (Vans, of course, Liv knew him well) on Liam's lap so he could tie the laces. "Other one."

"I feel as though I'm a little boy again, needing you to tie my football boots for me." Louis smiled as Liam finished tying his other lace.

"We'll get used to it champ, because there's no way in hell I'm letting you out of my sights any time soon." Liam smiled as Louis rolled his eyes.