twenty-two

As I twisted the doorknob to Nash's home, I couldn't help but regret the past few hours of my life. Nash was definitely going to notice, we'd been friends forever and I'd never been blasted out of my mind!

The first step I even took into the house, the most delicious smell I'd ever dreamed of hit my nose. Instantly, I was slobbering over the drool forming in my mouth.

Embarrassing, but I was more concerned about the whereabouts of the food. As I turned the corner, I saw tons of Nash's cousins and various family members.
This must be really important.

Nash's eyes fell to me, quickly scanning over Ashton as she walked up to us and a faint smile played on her lips.

"Glad you could make it Mads," She pulled me into a hug and she smelled soo fucking good. Like tacos, beans, guava, tamales, sa-

"Why are you wearing sunglasses? It's nighttime." She stated, I quickly realized she was talking to me and sputtered out a reply.

"AhEAh-- What? Weird." Mentally face palming, I quickly discarded the sunglasses and smiled brightly at her closing my blazing eyes.

I barely noticed Leo walk up in the time I completely failed at trying to hide my current state. He looked nice, wearing a grey tux and I noticed Nash was wearing an emerald gown that matched his tie perfectly.
This must be very important.

"Thank you for coming Madi," He smiled brightly at me, pulling me into a hug and giving a boyish nod towards Ash.
When he finally let me go, I tried wiping off the shocked look I held on my face. Ashton pulled me closer then before, and I looked up at him trying to somehow send him the sad signals from my brain.

At this point, I just wanted to leave. This was obviously extremely important to both Nash and Leo and here I was higher then a kite ready to ruin everything in my path accidentally. I scanned the room, and made a beeline for the bathroom before the waterworks came.

Trying to suppress my tears, I looked at my reflection cursing myself for crying and causing my eyes to turn more red.

"What are you doing?"

His voice made me jump 10 feet in the air as he swung open the door.
Jesus take the wheel.

"Ash you scared me, I was just--"

"Crying?" A hint of a smile showed on his face and I smiled back at him genuinely. At times, it felt like he was the only constant in my life.

At least he was always completely and utterly himself although, I wasn't sure what that meant yet.

"Try not to overthink things little one," His thumb stroked my lip like he loved to do lately. "You are really high so every emotion you feel is enhanced."

I nodded, closing my eyes to pull myself somewhat together.

We walked out of the bathroom hand in hand and at the moment, that was all I could think of. His hand felt calloused inside my soft one but for some reason, that was comforting. When we made our way back to the kitchen, to my delight everyone was making plates. I tried not to break out into my happy eating dance.

I began filling my plate with a vegetable mix, potatoes, a few tacos, chips, a tostada, and tons of salsa with sour cream and a juicy tamale on the side.
I tried not to eat too quickly..