twenty-eight

I nervously wrung my hands in circles, anticipating ANYTHING Ashton would say.
I waited for the dreaded yelling or for his features to be over taken by his anger.
Instead, there we sat, in complete silence for the entire ride.

I didn't dare say a word.

I was sure Ashton could identify my voice at very least.
Ashley also kept her mouth glued shut, shooting me nervous glances every so often. Maybe it was the wrong idea to get her slightly involved.
And Marco, poor Marco.
He looked the most shook up of us all.

Noticeable sweat beads formed across his brow, forcing him to remove his hands from the wheel and wipe his face frequently.
I hoped it was because of the heat, not the fact Ashton stared calmly but deathly straight ahead not uttering a peep to even his brother whom I'd convinced to betray him..

"We're here fratello, looks like every other van beat us here too. So it was a painfully slow ride, good to know." Marco sped out, lowering his voice towards the end.
I watched as he nervously ran his hands through his hair, stealing a glance at his brothers stiff demeanor.

Instead of acknowledging Marco had spoken, Ashton got out of the car walking around the van to my door and opening it. He then gently took me by the arm, helping me out of the car while I kept my eyes trained on the ground.

Everyone from Ashton's gang or whatever shifted their way inside the club. I, slower than frozen molasses, dragged my feet along the pavement dreading what would happen next.

I knew that Ashton knew.

I mean what an idiotic plan anyway? Who thinks that they can go to school with a kid for practically their entire life then suddenly disguise themselves with a wig, colored contacts, couple dabs of makeup, and a corset?

"I need 7 girls on the stage, don't care which ones."

Ashton stood in the middle of the barren club like a traffic director, literally he was a traffic director.
My stomach did sickening flips reminding me where I was.

He places everyone specifically where he wanted them, and even had a few of the girls working the bar which I'm pretty sure is illegal.

As if anything that was about to happen was legal.

Very few of Ashton's men stayed visible, he had them hidden behind doors ready to charge at a foreign word or in the basement listening for commotion. At least 30 stayed outside ready to notify Ashton of Oso's arrival.

Above each of the tables, were swinging cages large enough to fit elephants, even though I doubted that's what they were for.
Ashton and Marco lifted girl after girl up to fill the cages and I pondered on how they would get down.
I focused on anything except the weak attempts the girls made at escaping or the way most seemed too drained to even try.

you are partly to blame for this,
you will be responsible for these lives that balance on a thread

3 girls left standing cluelessly, including me.

The other two that weren't me, were forced to go with some men waiting on an inside balcony that overlooked the entire club.

and then there was one..
Ashley was made to wait behind the stage several women ago, so I knew I was stopped in my tracks.
I knew this would be the moment he'd unleash his wrath.