20. What are you doing to him?

We climbed out of the water, Steve carrying Bucky over his shoulder

   We climbed out of the water, Steve carrying Bucky over his shoulder. We walked, tired. We found a warehouse. Steve set Bucky onto a crate near the hydraulic press. He took his metal arm putting it under the press. Turning it on, my eyes widened I rushed forward "What are you doing to him?" I grabbed his arm but it was no use, Steve stopped it when it was just pressing on his arm.

   "We don't know if he is himself. I'm going to find a payphone." He left me alone with my husband. I sat next to him resting my head on his thigh. Closing my eyes as I couldn't stop the tears from rolling out of them. I wiped my face when I heard Steve's footsteps approaching. He didn't say anything but we stared at each other. He finally broke the awkward silence "What is he like?" I smiled grabbing his flesh arm.

   "Loving, he isn't the most open but he tries," I said rubbing my thumb into his skin, placing a shaky kiss on it. I rested my head back on his thigh. I heard Steve's footsteps leave and I started to fall into much-needed sleep. I woke when I heard talking. Bucky was awake his fingers threaded through my knotted hair. I sat listening to the conversation.

   "Who were they?" I heard Steve's voice, I kept my eyes closed as Bucky untangled my hair with his fingers. I heard his heavy exhale before he spoke.

   "Their most elite death squad. More kills than anyone in Hydra's history and that was before the serum." I lifted my head rubbing my eyes. I looked up, interest clouding my face.

   "Did they all turn out like you?" Sam asked the question I was wondering.

   "Worse," Bucky said his voice dark. I leaned closer to him, his fingers messaging my scalp. My hand resting on his thigh as I rubbed circles to help him keep calm.

   "The doctor?" My voice broke slightly hoarse, the attention drawn to me.

   "Could he control them?" Steve finished, Bucky looking up at him before responding.

   "Enough."

   "Said he wanted to see an empire fall," I said I looked up at my husband frowning.

   "With these guys, he could do it." The tension in the room thickened. "They speak 30 languages, can hide in plain sight. Infiltrate, assassinate, destabilize. They can take a whole country down in one night, you'd never see them coming." Bucky finished, Sam walking up Steve. I took this moment to look up to Bucky. Seeing the blood run down the side of his face, and the dirt caking his features. His blue eyes stared as he ran the pad of his thumb over the cut the 'king' left on my cheek. "Are you okay?" his question solemn as I leaned my face into his hand.

   "I am now that I know you are okay," I said to him some cleared their throat from behind us. Turning to see Steve and Sam motioning for us to leave. I stood then Bucky, our hands tightly gripped together as we made our way out.