First Kiss (Tails, Knuckles, Mighty)

I'm back!!! Finally, summer is here!! I have a pretty hectic schedule for the offseason. I'll be doing some traveling and a bit of extra learning, but I should be able to begin writing again. I have also begun writing a few other stories in my spare time, so stay tuned. Otherwise, that's all I need to say for now. Hope you guys enjoy this chapter!!

-Tails-

You hopped down the stairs into Tails' basement lab. You hadn't seen nor heard from your boyfriend in the last couple days, and you were growing worried. Tails told you about the extra key to the house that rested in the potted plant, making it easy to enter the house. The fox's older brother was asleep on the couch, allowing you to slip by without raising any alarms. As you jumped from one step to the one below, you heard distant clanging and power tools in use. The noise only grew louder when you reached the basement level.

A multitude of inventions were scattered around the workshop. Different parts littered the floor as the young fox fiddled with an unknown machine on a wooden table. Oil was sticking in his fur on his forehead and arms. His eye brows furrowed with thought and he scratched the top of his hand with the wrench in his hand. His eyes appeared tired, as if he hadn't slept. Some food rested on the table, untouched. He was oblivious to your presence too focused on his inventions at the moment.

"Tails," you called, making your way to the fox.

"Huh?" the male looked up from his work. He immediately smiled upon seeing your figure. "Oh, (Y/N). Sorry, I didn't hear you walk in."

"That's okay, you were busy," you replied. You looked down to the device on the table as Tails moved to grab a towel. "I was just curious to know what you were working on."

"I've just been preparing for an upcoming mission. I gotta make sure the plane is repaired," your boyfriend explained. He wiped the oil from his face. "I should've told you earlier."

"Don't worry about it, Tails. When do you leave for the mission?"

"In about a month," the fox replied.

"An entire month?" you repeated, surprised. You walked over to the plane and dragged your hand along the exterior. "but the plane looks absolutely fine. Why would you stress so much?"

"I'm not stressed," the genius argued. "I'm just making sure everything's ready."

"If that was the case, then you wouldn't forget to eat or sleep," you rebutted. This was the first time the two of you ever argued about anything.

"(Y/N), I appreciate the concern, but I'm fine," the fox continued. He walked back over to the table and picked up where he left off.

You walked over to the door, and closed it softly, With your arms crossed you glared at the fox while standing in front of the door. You tapped your foot softly, filling the awkward silence between the two of you. After a few seconds, your boyfriend sighed and looked back up in your direction.

"What are you doing?" the fox asked, looking straight into your eyes. You didn't move, only staring back. "(Y/N), " the fox spoke, trying to appear normal. However, under your gaze and fox finally cracked. "Alright, maybe I have been too focused on the plane."

"But why?" you asked softly. You moved back over to Tails with a comforting and concerned expression. "It's not healthy."

"I know, I just..." the fox trailed off, trying to find the best words to say. "I guess I'm tired of being seen as the little kid on the team. I want to prove myself."