27| The Photograph

Kiersten|

"Ah, I see you've found a picture of us... Shit." Heidi sighed, her breath smelt like alcohol; it was filled with vibrant fumes. I recalled her telling me that her go to drink was everclear mixed with water. The basketball player was standing up tall with extremely good posture. Her arms had been crossed with one of them holding her beverage in a red cup marked birthday girl. She looked super calm. Heidi's head was slightly tilted to the side while her long hair hung off her shoulders on one side. "I must of forgot to take that one down, I knew I was missing something".

"So that- that is me?" I said lightly as my right hand rose to cover my mouth. There was a hint of curiousness in my voice because I wanted to know what the deal was between us. There wasn't a chance she'd tell me since my sister pretty much forbid her from doing so. However, I don't really understand why. I feel like it's somewhat unfair how I'm the one being penalized for a memory lag that hadn't even been my fault.

The beautiful girl let out a light chuckle. Her cheeks getting a bit red from the alcohol starting to hit her. "Yes love, unless you have a doppelgänger".

With innocence clearly present in my plea, "Tell me more?"

Her demeanor turned colder; she was beginning to shut me out. "Not a chance."

Heidi started to turn her back on me. She was taking a few steps back into the crowd, her hands were tense against her side. I reached for her and grabbed her lightly on her arm, making her head whip around quickly. "Why's that?"

Instead of immediately replying with an answer, her icey blue eyes glanced over at the sight of my interaction. I could tell she was contemplating something or having a flashback because often at times, I'd get the same face as her current one. "Because?... because, I cant." Her arm pulled away from my touch.

"Y- you're mean" I huffed. My immature comebacks still come out to play from time to time.

The six footer's eyebrows rose while letting out her another laugh. "It's funny, you'd say those exact words to me all the time."

"Heidi, please." I begged with a few little hops.

"I'll tell you a little bit but that's all." There was a very recognizable half smile on her face. "I don't want your brain to bug out and all of a sudden I lose you forever, you drama queen" she rolled her eyes.

And so, I dragged Heidi back towards the fridge like a puppy who couldn't contain itself. The volume in the kitchen area was a lot softer than where the party had mainly been taking place. I pulled the magnet off of the picture, that way we could look at it while she explained a couple of things to me. The girl who I failed to understand or remember well, hopped onto the counter and took a seat right on the table. I was standing in between her legs, glancing at the photograph while feeling one of her hands lightly grip onto my shoulder.

"What do you want to know" I heard her ask.

Taking a look at her, "We were very close, huh?"

"You knew a lot of things about me that I didn't tell many other people about" she stated. "We fought so much because I always felt like you knew me more than I knew myself and it really pissed me off."

For a brief moment, I was wondering what type of things I used to know about her and why she would tell me them. "What did I used to be like?" I blurted out.

Heidi's hand that was on my shoulder started to caress my dark brunette hair, gently. Sometimes her actions were so sweet and unexpected though it seemed to be a familiarity to the basketball star herself. "At times you'd talk a lot and couldn't stop. I got annoyed most of the time but I also loved hearing your stories and how passionate you were about them" she took a deep breath in and out as I continued to pay attention to small details in the picture. "You always put me before yourself which reminded me how dangerously big your heart was, still is. You were the type of girl that was reliable. Even though there was a time difference, I could call you at any time and you'd always pick up as if you were waiting for a call." She stopped caressing me. "It breaks my heart knowing I wasn't always the best to you, but sometimes things got complicated."