39| Anything But Perfect

Kiersten|

Staring at myself through the mirror has become my bad habit once again. All I had on was an over sized t-shirt and undergarments. I raised the shirt up above my chest so that it was easier to view all of my body and the flaws I saw within them. I didn't know why I had these messages pop up in my mind as if I would never be good enough for society, but they did. There were a lot of things I wished would have stayed forgotten because they made me feel like the most insignificant thing on the planet even though I knew that was untrue.

I heard Heidi's voice of concern coming from behind me. "Love, you should go and eat something."

Turning around so that I could face her, I let go of the shirt that I had been holding. "I'm not hungry" I replied with a lie.

She looked upset as always whenever I'd say those words to her. I watched as the basketball star placed her arms around me to hold me tight. "You can eat something healthy and then we can go and burn it off, alright?"

I never liked when she'd get upset so I obeyed. Heidi was the only person who knew how to get me to do the things I should. If I was so worried about gaining weight, then she would come up with ways to make the both of us happy. Letting out a sigh of defeat, "Fine."

"I love you, don't forget" the tall beauty voiced. "I just want to make sure you're healthy."

Her blue eyes sparked quite frequently and they always made me go weak in the knees. The little specks of freckles all over her face were barely visible unless in the sun or viewed up close. Many people didn't find the markings attractive yet I always found hers magical looking. "I love you too" I said back softly.

Heidi grabbed me by the hand and brought me into her kitchen. I guess her four other siblings left because they were nowhere to be seen. "I made you some steak for your anemia, eat before it gets cold."

Taking a plate along with silverware from one of the cabinets, I started to make a meal for myself. The six footer cooked it medium rare which was exactly how I liked it. It took me a while to eat steak but after having multiple problems with my blood cell count, steak and spinach were my best friends as an alternative from iron pills. "Thank you, babe."

"No problem" the basketball player stated while going to her fridge and pulling out a pitcher of lemonade. "Do you need anything else?"

While sitting at the dining table, it felt so long since we've had a day like this, with just the two of us having the company of one another. There were those few times when my memory had been gone but that wasn't the same. Looking at her now made me realize that I am so incredibly thankful for someone like her. Heidi wasn't the easiest with communication yet, her actions always made up for it. I think for some people, saying less and doing more was easier; In all honesty, I was glad she had been that way because people who were all talk kind of annoyed me.

"I don't need anything else" I smiled sweetly as I picked up some meat with a fork. "We should talk though... about some things."

As I said that, my eyes were facing towards the teddy bear Skylar had gotten me last week when I was recovering at the facility. It had been sitting by the exit of Heidi's house because I let the red haired girl's younger sister play with it and forgot to take the stuffed animal back home. I was confused as to how I was supposed to go on with my life, knowing I technically cheated again with Skylar. In some ways, that wasn't my fault... I literally forgot everything and had to relearn the basics which failed to include my love life.