Chapter 12: Friendship

Cherrypaw braced herself for the fight with Frogpaw, she had been watching Marshpaw so she could learn how to fight with a new apprentice and how not to hurt them. She watched as Frogpaw clumsily tried to pounce. Cherrypaw easily slid away from him in time. She watched as Frogpaw came closer and then attempted a slash, but Cherrypaw jumped over him. Cherrypaw then pounced, landing on top of the young apprentice. Frogpaw tried to shake her off but eventually he collapsed, Cherrypaw quickly pinned him down, she had one paw on his chest so he couldn't get up, and the other paw on the ground to give her balance.

"Well done, Cherrypaw, and you, Frogpaw," purred Swiftpetal.

"Yes, I'm very proud of you both," purred Beechclaw, his gaze resting on Cherrypaw.

"Now, we're going to show you both some fighting techniques that will help you in battle," meowed Skyshine, turning to Sagepaw, Frogpaw and Rosepaw.

"Yes, but Marshpaw and Cherrypaw don't need to stay for that," mewed Swiftpetal.

"Yes, I agree, both of you can practice fighting on your own, claws sheathed," purred Skyshine.

"On our own," exclaimed Marshpaw.

"Yes, this will be your first ever proper training without one of us there with you," smiled Swiftpetal.

Cherrypaw's heart leaped, when you started to get assigned proper solo tasks, that meant you were getting nearer to the end of your training as an apprentice.

"Off you go then," smiled Skyshine.

Marshpaw bounded ahead, looking for a place to train, whilst Cherrypaw stayed behind thinking about what it would be like to be a warrior. No more den clearing, maybe even an apprentice of my own! She thought.

"Come on, slow coach," purred Marshpaw. "I've found a good place to train!"

"Coming," muttered Cherrypaw, running to catch up with Marshpaw.

"I'm way better than before when you defeated me!" yowled Marshpaw competitively, "I'll easily get you down this time! I'll show you I'm worthy!"

Cherrypaw smiled and began circling Marshpaw. Without hesitation, Marshpaw did the same. Marshpaw pounced immediately, it was strong and well timed, but Cherrypaw rolled out of the way and jumped back up immediately.

"Your so good, eh?" purred Cherrypaw competitively.

Marshpaw growled playfully. Marshpaw ran as fast as the wind, trying to slash Cherrypaw's pelt hard as she past, she had clearly forgotten Skyshine telling them to keep their claws sheathed. Cherrypaw dipped down low, Marshpaw's claws just missing her ears. Cherrypaw pounced, clawing Marshpaw's ear. Even though it was bleeding, Marshpaw took no notice of it, and attempted to bite Cherrypaw's tail. But luckily, Cherrypaw noticed in time and jumped backwards, surprising Marshpaw, Cherrypaw reached down and clawed her pelt before landing behind her, after nipping Marshpaw's tail, she ran off, to give herself some distance between herself and Marshpaw. Marshpaw had quite a few wounds by now, and Cherrypaw only had a scratch on her ear, where the skin hadn't even broke. Marshpaw charged towards her, but Cherrypaw saw blazing anger in her eyes, not playful competitiveness.

Cherrypaw yowled at her to stop, but Marshpaw took no notice, attempting to claw her face. She nearly did, but Cherrypaw jumped backwards in time.

"Stop!" called Cherrypaw again, this time Marshpaw replied.

"I will not stop until I have defeated you completely."

"You want to kill me!?" screeched Cherrypaw, avoiding another vicious attack from Marshpaw.