Chapter 18: Different

The wind howled across the moor and the scent of salt water was overwhelming. Cherrypaw's stomach clenched as she thought of Archstar losing a life. When she had killed Flamestar, he had lost his last two lives. But Archstar couldn't die so soon, he wouldn't lose all of his lives, right? Cherrypaw gulped as Marshpaw brushed against her.

She watched as Softstep swam wildly into the water, heading for Archstar, who flailed helplessly, trying to keep his head above the current. Cherrypaw stood, frozen to the ground, looking out at the leader and deputy, who might both be killed. Softstep had managed to get Archstar onto her back. He was losing a life, or maybe more than one.. Softstep tried desperately to fling Archstar up, over to his Clanmates. Cherrypaw watched as Windleap and Dapplestream clung on to him and hauled him up. Softstep was too tired to go any further, she fell, into the endless dark pool of water.

Cherrypaw watched helpless, as Ripplefang pounced into the water at full force, aiming for where Softstep had fallen in. Petalwing, her mentor was balanced on the edge, looking out at the cats, ready to haul them both up, Marshpaw was with her. Cherrypaw ran over and stood beside them as well, ready for Ripplefang and Softstep. She saw them both, Ripplefang was hauling Softstep up to Marshpaw. Marshpaw immediately grabbed Softstep's scruff and hauled her up with Cherrypaw. Petalwing helped Ripplefang up. Softstep's lifeless body flopped to the ground, Archstar gasped.

"No, my mate," he whispered, before gently picking her up and laying her in the nest that Sagepaw, Rosepaw and Frogpaw had made for Archstar losing a life.

"Archstar, I know what it's like to lose a loved one, but we must grieve later, we will bring Softstep's body with us," mewed Gorsecloud, his voice filled with deep emotion.

Archstar gulped and nodded, a tear rolling down his cheek. Archstar then perched himself on top of a large rock. After silencing the Clan, who were muttering to one another loudly, he called for a Clan meeting.

"Cats of WindClan, there has been a flood, which has resulted in the death of Softstep, my mate and deputy, of both our elders, Owlheart and Shrewfang, and of our medicine cat, Mintleaf. We will grieve for them soon, but first, we must think of a plan to avoid any more deaths from WindClan, any ideas?"

"Archstar, perhaps you could gather the senior warriors together and think of a plan, then you announce to the Clan the plan, and see if they have something to add on to the plan to make it better or if they have another idea," mewed Petalwing.

"Yes, good idea, Petalwing, you come with me, Dapplestream, Voletooth, Ripplefang, Marshpaw, you come too," mewed Archstar.

"Wait, Archstar, can Cherrypaw come too?" asked Marshpaw quickly.

Archstar nodded and creeped in behind the rock, it was perfect for all the cats to hide in, and they could talk without any other cat hearing them. 

"Alright," mewed Archstar. "Any ideas?"

"I have an idea," mewed Dapplestream.

All the cats hiding in the rock turned and looked at her expectantly.

"Since WindClan is flooding, why don't we leave WindClan territory, we're furthest away from the water, so the other Clans must have evacuated somewhere."

Suddenly, a thought came to Cherrypaw.

"Wait, since it's meant to be a gathering tonight, and we we're late, what if all the other Clans evacuated on the island and then the water started to rise, they would be safe, we could go there," suggested Cherrypaw.

"Amazing! That's a great idea! If we evacuated to the island, we would be safe from the flood until it died down, then we could go back home." mewed Archstar, relief in his mew.