Chapter 17: Flood

It was night time, and a gathering, wind ruffled Marshpaw's pelt as she shivered at the thought of Cherrypaw murdering Flamestar, how could her sister do such a thing?

But on the other hand, he was getting old and sometimes out of his mind. Cherrypaw did state it was an accident, and she regrets it a lot, so she really couldn't blame her at the same time.

She stood up and tasted the air, the stench of salt, remained in the air.

Salt? Marshpaw thought. She was alarmed by this.

She shook the nearest cat to her, Frogpaw.

"Frogpaw?" she shook.

He twitched then groaned and opened one eye. "Marshpaw?" his eyes widened. And he rubbed them.

"Be careful, I gotta show you something!" Marshpaw hissed.

"What?" he looked uncertain.

"It better be worthy because if you've woke up me for nothing, ill claw off your ears!" he growled, quietly.

"Alright come out here, and careful not to wake Cherrypaw, she'll claw off your pelt." Marshpaw blinked in warning.

"Err okay," Frogpaw stammered.

"Taste the air!" Marshpaw exclaimed.

"Um, it smells and tastes like salt?" Frog paws eyes widened.

"Oh my! Let's note Archstar about this," Frogpaw noted.

They padded through the tall grasses and moor, and finally padded into the leaders den, where Archstar slept.

"Soft steps in there, be careful," Marshpaw peeked in, peeking her ears up.

"Ooh la la," Frogpaw muttered.

"Yeah I know," Marshpaw squealed.

"Okay, let's tell him, i'm glad it was a good reason you woke me up." Frogpaw brushed against her, then started to go in, Marshpaw following behind.

"Archstar!" Frogpaw whispered.

He immediately rised to his paws, embarrassed that Softstep was there, he stood in front of Softstep.

"Um, yeah?" he flushed slightly.

"Don't hide it!" Marshpaw exclaimed as quiet as she could, "Its nice to know you found someone just right for you!" She reassured, and he stepped out of the way, so you could see her fluffy gray pelt and her sleeping.

"The air smells like salt," Frogpaw complained.

"Uh oh." Archstar murmured under his breath.

"What?" The two apprentices looked confused.

"Its going to flood soon!" his jaws opened widely in shock.

"What?" Softstep shakily replied as her eyes started to open and wake up.

"Uh, Softstep, we need to wake up the clan, it's going to flood and-" Archstar burst with worry.

Softstep wiped her tail across his mouth, "Stay calm, we can work this out." she smiled at him, reassuringly.

"Yuck," The two apprentices muttered.

Marshpaw wrinkled her nose, "It's infecting the whole area!" her eyes widened.

"Hurry, now! I will address this." Archstar replied.

"Everyone wake up! Something important is about to happen!" Archstar exclaimed.

Cats groaned and came out of their dens, padded slowly and tiredly towards the leaders den.

"It is going to flood, sorry to wake all of you up, but we must try get to higher points." Archstar meowed, Softstep sitting next to him.

"Wow! It even smells of salt!" Sagepaw added in.

"You can thank Frogpaw and Marshpaw for discovering this." Archstar turned towards them, and blinked gratefully, and Marshpaw stood proud when some of her clanmates looked at her, Frogpaw smiled a bit, but looked quite embarrassed.

"It's okay," Marshpaw meowed at him, "Just stand proud and your clanmates will eventually stop looking at you." Marshpaw told him again.

"Okay..." Frogpaws voice drifted away as he said the word and stood proudly too.

A couple of minutes later cats split into groups and they started to gather up everyone and Archstar nodded and started to head, the water was now visible as Windclan lived on the moor lands.

"What about the other clans?" Marshpaw asked, Cherrypaw who had now awoken and stood next to her.

She shrugged, and then she kept walking until they found thorns and trees everywhere.

"We are slightly on ThunderClans territory, we need to run the water is at our paws first.

"Swiftpetal," Archstar turned to her.

"Yes Archstar?" she replied.

"You have Featherkit and Gorsecloud has Reedkit. Correct?" Archstar asked, formally.

"Yes Archstar," she dipped her head and they kept going.

"There is a hill here, a huge one, let's take these funny looking stones up here." Archstar replied.

"Follow me carefully." Archstar meowed again.

"Wait! Where's the elders?" Softstep froze.

"Oh no-" Archstar was cut off.

"Didn't you call a clan meeting?" Softstep meowed.

"I did, I thought they woke up." Archstar could see water in the distance filling the grass.

"Its too late, may they hunt with Starclan in peace now." he blinked.

"We can hold vigil later, right now is a bad time." Softstep addressed to the clan.

"Hurry, one step or fall back and you fall into that water." Archstar addressed and heaved himself up with the deputy and clan following behind. The medicine cats holding herbs close by.

"Mintleaf!" Lynxfur called.

She walked next to Lynxfur, her paw hitting a stone and she went gliding into the water.

"What happened! Mintleaf!!?" Lynxfur stood in shock.

"Lynxfur, I will get her." Archstar called.

"You will lose your first life though!" Softstep gasped at him volunteering to save her.

"A true leader sacrifices himself at least once for an in-need clanmate." Archstar meowed, then rushing into the water.

He was swimming rapidly, and managed to keep up, he dived in to get Mintleaf who had supposedly drowned.

Mintleaf had already drowned and Archstar was tired, he threw Mintleaf onto the hill where Lynxfur gripped onto her leg and carried her, she ran ahead onto the top of the hill, pacing rapidly.

"How'd you manage to do that Lynxfur, my paws are already tired from walking half-way!" Marshpaw asked.

"I don't know honestly, Mintleaf was an amazing medicine cat I don't know what i'll do without her..." her gaze drifted off.

"What about Archstar?!" Marshpaw called.

And with that, Softstep dashed off to go get Archstar.

Cherrypaws eyes widened in shock for once and Marshpaw brushed against her.

"So much is happening." they both murmured.

What will happen to Archstar? Will he lose two lives or.. only one? Or will he lose all nine?

Oooh, so a flood happened and now Cherrypaw s finally expressing emotion, don't worry guys she ain't heartless but yeah! Predictions for next chapter? 

(Who am I kidding this book ain't that popular. Heh..)

Thanks for reading this chapter!

<•Peace•> ~Marshwillow