Chapter 6.

It was a beautiful day in the city, sun was shining bright, birds chirping and kids everywhere enjoying the first days of summer. After August, Kimberly and Rebecca got their ice cream, they went to the park so Kimberly could play while they talked.

"So, how old are you Rebecca?" August asked as he sat down on the bench.

"I'm 22, but I'll be 23 right after Thanksgiving," she replied, sitting next to him.

"That's cool. I remember when I was that age," he said laughing.

"When you were that age?" she laughed, "You act like you're 40 years old. You're only two or three years older."

He laughed, "I'm 24 but still. I feel old." He looked over at Kimberly who was climbing the monkey bars, "I had to grow up faster with Kimberly and all."

"Yeah, I can only imagine. Well hopefully I can help with her and slow down the growing up process for you old man!" 

They shared a laugh together.

"So are you living at home with your parents or do you have your own place," he said being nosey.

"I have my own place with my boyfriend Tremaine," Becca said.

"I knew a pretty girl like you wasn't single. I tried to tell my mama that," he said, smiling.

Rebecca giggled, "Yeah he and I have been together a little over a year. We met our senior year in high school, but didnt start dating until college." She paused to lick the melting chocolate ice cream off her finger.

"I didn't tell him about this job opportunity. I can only imagine what he will say now that I actually got the job."

"Why is that?"

"He may not be happy knowing I will be spending most of my time with another man and his child," she let out a nervous laugh.

"Well if he was a real man and doing what he is supposed to do as your man, then he shouldn't have anything to worry 'bout," he said in a stern, but playful tone.

Rebecca didn't say anything. She didn't know how to respond to that so she just changed the subject.

"So, uh, what kind of things would you like me to do with Kimberly?"

"As long as she happy, fed and safe, I don't care what ya'll do." Then he remembered. "Oh she has swim class, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, at my gym."

"Okay, great. I am sure we will spend a lot of time at the pool and maybe go to story time at the library," she said.

"She'll like that. Have you decided what you want your weekly pay to be?" He said.

"No I have not, I'm sure what ever you would like to pay will be just fine," she smiled hoping he wouldn't say a low ball number though.

"Ok, I will write down a number I think you will like," he smiled.

He wrote a number and Rebecca's eyes became wide.

"This much?! Just to be a babysitter?"

"Yea. It would be more but you don't have any experience," he laughed half joking. "But it's still on the high end  since I travel  sometimes and I would need you to stay the night with her if thats okay with you."

"I'm definitely not complaing with that salary," she said still in disbelief.

" Great! I figured that's a good number," he said shrugging.

"Well I won't argue with you," she laughed.

"Oh, since I'm on the topic of traveling out of town, I will have to go out of town in three weeks I'm opening another gym location and I need to check on the construction."

"That's not a problem at all." She said.

She then got a text from Trey asking when she was coming home.

" I have to get going. I will see you bright and early Monday."

August got up and gave Rebecca a hug goodbye and Kimberly ran over to give Rebecca a goodbye hug as well before running back to the playground.

August couldn't help but admire her beauty as she walked away. He watched as she made it to her car safely.

On Becca's ride home to Trey, she could only think about August and Kimberly.

_____________

-Lys💜

Edited 8/2019