Part 2

Five through eight.

////

"You can't even look at me!"

////

"Okay," Bucky began, turning to face Steve, "if we're going to do this, we need to be stealthy."

"I know." Steve bit his lip as he thought.

"So that means that unfortunately, we still have to be hidden," Bucky sighed.

"So what do we do?"

"No more random kisses," Bucky listed, counting off on his fingers. "No more random hugs, we can't be found out about."

"Okay -- "

"You can't even look at me," Bucky continued and Steve went to protest. "It's your d*** puppy eyes, Steve, they'll know in an instant."

"I hate this," Steve huffed and Bucky nodded, looking down.

"It's what's best for now. We'll tell them when we know how they'll react. In the meantime, I'll gather information, see what they think about same-sex relationships."

"You're sure about this?" Steve frowned. Bucky blew out a breath.

"We don't have any other choice."

But it was Bucky who slipped up one day.

"Hey," he said as he walked into the room, towards Steve. He kissed him lightly and instantly realised what he'd done. The Avengers were all there, staring at them, in silence.

Steve was silent, staring at him with wide eyes. Nobody said anything for a moment and Bucky swallowed, afraid of possibly getting kicked out.

"I didn't know you guys were gay," Tony finally said. The others seemed to go back to what they were doing, generally at ease with it all.

Steve and Bucky shared a confused glance. "What?"

"Congrats, but I knew all along," Nat added. Bucky looked at her hesitantly, then back to Steve. "You guys seem more startled than us."

"We didn't expect... this," Steve finally got out, shifting in his seat. Sam and Nat shared a look.

"Times have changed," Sam spoke, leaning against the wall. "It's okay. You guys are good."

Bucky breathed a sigh of relief and Steve smiled. They were okay.

It was still weird to kick the habit of hiding their relationship. Eventually, they kissed in public more often, and when they felt safe enough, they officially came out.

The Avengers were proud of them for that.

////

"Stop looking at me like that!"

////

"Come on," Steve said, pretending to be exasperated. The smile wasn't helping him pull it off. "Stop looking at me like that."

"Can't help it," Bucky muttered, leaning on his one arm. He could barely hear the bustle of the city, the occasional whoosh of planes and machines flying overhead, disappearing and reappearing through the force field.

He was in Wakanda, healing, resting, hiding out. It was safe there, and he could breathe.

He still missed Steve, though. However, absence makes the heart grow fonder, and all that. So Shuri introduced him to something magical called Skype.

It was hard to time these Skype calls; Steve was on the run, after all, with Sam and Natasha. They didn't get a lot of chance to talk face to face. Simple texting didn't have the same effect.