Part 20

This is the last part of this particular collection. Might be the last of this book; considering the responses to it I think it's run its course, which is okay :)

////

"Stop lying to me and tell me the truth!"

////

"Steve, I'm fine."

"For some reason, I don't believe you," he said, sitting across from him. Bucky rolled his eyes and slouched back into his chair, holding what remained of his left arm. "What happened out there?"

"Nothing," he dismissed, going to stand up. Steve put a hand on his shoulder and gave him a look, sitting him back down. "Seriously, Steve, leave it alone," he protested and stood, stumbling a bit.

"Why won't you tell me what happened?"

Bucky closed his eyes briefly and reflected on it. The mission had gone horribly. A handful of casualties and some collateral damage to the city, and a lot of paperwork to manage.

"Look, nothing happened," he insisted. "I am one hundred percent fine and -- "

Steve crossed his arms. "Stop lying to me and tell me the truth!"

Bucky blinked, took a breath, and put his hand in his pocket. "Well -- it was a really s*** mission," he managed, blinking the images of the dead civilians out of his mind, the echoes of cries, the dust of fallen buildings filling his lungs.

A look of concern took replaced the look of annoyance and Steve moved closer to him, then gently lay a hand on his left shoulder. "So this..?"

"Got crushed under rubble," he muttered. "I'm fine though," he said half-heartedly. Steve studied him and pulled him against him, and Bucky's eyes fell closed as he exhaled. "Sorry, I don't like to worry you."

"Sorry I pressed, Buck," he said. "I just -- I want you to be okay."

He smiled tightly. "I know."

He held him at arms length. "Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Stop worrying so much," he replied with a more genuine, teasing smile. "It's nothin' I can't ever handle."

"At least rest," he said, and Bucky nodded.

"I will. Thanks, Steve." He headed into his room in the apartment and Steve watched him go with a sigh.

////

"How could you keep this from me?"

////

It was all planned out. Steve had it down to the last letter -- everything about the proposal was going to go well. He didn't want anything too extravagant, because Bucky didn't like giant celebrations. A simple dinner, romantic, nothing huge.

He adjusted the collar of his shirt and shuffled anxiously in his seat. Bucky arrived not more than five minutes later, in a nice pressed shirt and dark jeans, hair up in a ponytail.

"Hey," he said with a smile as he sat down, drumming the metal fingers of his hand briefly on the edge of the table. Steve grinned at him and studied him a moment, taking in the sight of him.

"Hey, you look... great," he mused, and Bucky turned pink.

"So? Nice place," he said, glancing around. "What's the occasion?" His eyes were bright, his cheeks warm, and Steve's heart melted.

"Um, I just wanted to take you someplace nice," he explained, rubbing the back of his neck. Bucky looked amused, his chin in his hand as he watched him. He seemed anxious for something, and Bucky could make a guess at what -- they had, after all, been dating for almost five years now.