Part 13

81 to 84.

////

"Can I kiss you?"

////

Bucky didn't know gentlemen still existed until he actually met one for real. Steve Rogers.

The name didn't ring a bell to him -- Bucky grew up in Brooklyn, didn't care for politics and had only recently moved to New York City for a job he'd wanted - working in a museum.

Well, it paid him enough to get by.

After a particularly long day, he had headed to the bar for a little drink, maybe to try and have a night out. That was when he bumped into Steve Rogers and his group of friends.

They were all out celebrating, all looking tired, all worn. Steve had noticed Bucky eyeing him -- what could he do? He liked blonds.

"Oh. S***, hi," he laughed nervously as the blond stepped over to him, mentally panicking. Steve nodded and smiled, looking a little embarrassed.

"Uh, hi," he replied, glancing back at his friends. "My friend... she told me to, um..." He waved his hand vaguely and cleared his throat, and stuck out a hand. "I'm Steve. Rogers."

"James Barnes, but call me Bucky," he introduced, smiling and shaking his hand. Steve smiled back politely and gestured to the seat beside him.

"May I?"

Bucky nodded and took another drink of his whiskey, then, feeling bold, decided to strike up conversation.

"Aww, there he goes, I knew I could get him a date," Natasha hummed as she took a swig of her beer. Tony snorted and folded his arms.

"Let the record show that I noticed him first, actually. Have an eye for brunettes type of deal," he defended and Pepper shot him a look, and he smiled innocently at her and raised his eyebrows. "And-and redheads."

"Wow, they're still talkin'," Clint commented. "I woulda' moved right on to the drinking, but hey. The guy's old-fashioned."

"Did he ask him to dance? I can't see -- Thor, you're in the way -- "

"Here, Banner -- " He lifted the Doctor onto his shoulders and Bruce clung to him, terrified.

"This was not what I asked for!"

Steve offered Bucky a hand and pulled him to the dance floor. As they swayed around, Steve tried not to steal glances towards his group. The Avengers seemed responsible, but they were... not.

"Got a large group there," Bucky commented, noticing the way they're eyeing both him and Steve.

"They're my co-workers, although we're pretty much a family." Steve smiled a little, embarrassed. "Albeit a weird one."

Bucky smiled back. "What do you do for a living?"

Steve blinked and glanced back at them briefly. "We're, uh, well..." He tried to find the proper word without sounding too full of himself. "We help people," he finally said. Bucky nodded slowly at the vague response, but didn't press.

"So.. police officers, firefighters..?"

"Eh... " Steve waved his hand in a vague motion. "A lot of us fought overseas. Sam was in Afghanistan, and Nat and Clint served in Budapest for a time," he said, unsure of what else he can say. Bucky nodded again.

"And you?"

Steve smiled a little. "Just a soldier. I fought in Europe years ago."

Bucky smiled back. "Well, thank you."