Part 12

77 to 80.

////

"I can't... I can't lose you."

////

They were arguing again -- of course they were. And once again, it was regarding missions; who should go on more, why the other one shouldn't, etcetera. More often than not, it was Steve saying that Bucky shouldn't go back into the field.

"You think I can't handle it, Steve? I'm not some fragile f****** flower, for God's sake. I can do these things," Bucky insisted, standing by the door, already halfway out. Steve closed his eyes and tried to keep his patience in check, deciding not to argue back. "It's not up to you to decide what I do! It isn't up to you to tell me how careful I should be, you aren't my godd*** protector, there's nothing you can do, so can you just -- "

"I can't lose you," Steve snapped, his voice louder than he thought, especially in a small place like this. He didn't realise he was holding Bucky's arms until he released his grip and lowered his head. "I can't... I can't lose you," he murmured, voice breaking, his bravado crumbling.

"I've... lost you enough already. Please, I can't -- "

Bucky's eyes softened and he sighed, closing the door as he looked at him. "Steve."

"I can't lose you again," Steve wavered, his throat tight as he tried to swallow. Bucky stepped over and wrapped his arms around him, and Steve sank into his hold. "I'm sorry."

"Hey." Bucky gave him a stern look, but it didn't reach his eyes. "I'm not leaving you."

"Buck..."

"I'm not leaving you," he repeated in a quieter voice, holding him closer and kissing the side of his head. "But you need to trust me. Trust that I know what I'm doing, okay?"

Steve managed a tight nod, taking a breath that sounded shaky to Bucky, which only made him hold Steve tighter. After a moment Steve lifted his head and kissed him, his arms wrapped around his neck.

"Get the job done, get back safe," he said quietly as he pulled back, gathering himself. Bucky shot him a quick grin and stepped back, swinging the door open. He gave a quick salute and smiled at him briefly before closing the door behind himself.

Steve prayed Bucky had made the right choice. There was an uneasy feeling in his stomach, but he supposed it couldn't be helped.

All he could do was some more waiting for Bucky -- at least he was used to it.

////

"You'll be the death of me."

////

"Stevie," Bucky murmured as the blond pulled him to his level, a fierce kiss pressed against his mouth. "You'll be the death of me."

"Me? How so?" Steve was grinning, and Bucky scowled at that, face flushed. Ever since gay marriage had been legalized, Steve hadn't stopped kissing him, hugging him from behind, just being overly affectionate.

Bucky didn't dislike it -- quite on the contrary, he loved every second of it -- the only problem was that Steve was stealing all the moments Bucky wanted to give him. The random kisses, the sudden hugs, the affection and love.

In short, Steve was winning at this relationship and Bucky was determined to be the better boyfriend -- because he could.

Bucky kissed back and hoisted Steve up. Humming with surprise, Steve wrapped his legs around his waist and Bucky kissed him deeper, opening their mouths and running his tongue over his lower lip.